Midnight madness: 'The Hunger Games' already smashed big box office record
Believe the hype.
The International Movie Database (IMDB) reported Friday that, counting only the tickets from its midnight showings, "The Hunger Games" has already earned $19.7 million domestically. The figure establishes a new record for highest-grossing revenue for the midnight opening of a non-sequel.
"The movie adaptation of author Suzanne Collins' action books, starring Jennifer Lawrence as heroine Katniss Everdeen, had already made $15 million in advance ticket sales, and it drew huge crowds as fans lined up outside theatres across the country to get a first look at the film upon its release in the early hours of Friday. The big opening also rockets 'The Hunger Games' into seventh place in the list of top midnight grosses."
The six films that grossed more money than "The Hunger Games" via midnight openings are all sequels:
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" ($43.5 million)
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1" ($30.3 million)
"The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" ($30.1 million)
"The Twilight Sage: New Moon" ($26.3 million)
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" ($24 million)
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" ($22.2 million)
The Deseret News is comprehensively covering the release of "The Hunger Games."
Aaron Shill detailed what parents should expect to see in the film
Laura Marostica examined how movie violence affects children
Doug Wright recommended finishing the book before seeing the film
- Bill Cosby is ordered to stand trial in sex case
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Chris Hicks: ‘Joy’ and a special...
- Video game adaptation 'Angry Birds Movie'...
- 'Floating down the Mississippi': 'Big River'...
- Book review: Weston's 'The Mirror Test'...
- Chris Hicks: Carol Burnett, ‘Angie...
- Pianist Jason Lyle Black's debut 'Piano...
- Mom's 'happy Chewbacca' video shatters... 6
- DC movie universe hit with fallout from... 5
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Goodbye,... 4
- 'Stomping out the stigma': A look at... 3
- Chris Hicks: ‘Joy’ and a... 1
- 'Castle' is done, so let's bring back... 1
- Pelé biopic 'Birth of a Legend'... 1
- Video game adaptation 'Angry Birds... 1