Spanish Fork police chief decertified for shoplifting, lying

Council also votes to decertify Grantsville police chief

Published: Thursday, March 22 2012 5:47 p.m. MDT

"I had no agenda. I just tried to answer the questions and explain what I was doing the best I could," he said.

The Spanish Fork city attorney and mayor were present at the hearing to support the chief. Rosenbaum also asked for a continuance of his hearing because his own private attorney was not able to attend.

But the request was denied. "He should have been here," one POST official said, adding that the attorney knew about the hearing.

After the vote, Rosenbaum was placed on administrative leave, said assistant city manager Seth Perrins.

Perrins had no comment on the POST council's decision, saying the Spanish Fork City Council would be meeting next week to determine its next move.

Before the vote, some council members commented that it was a troubling case for them. They were particularly troubled by the video of Rosenbaum seemingly looking around the store and the fact that he pulled out his cellphone and held it to his ear for about 30 seconds as security approached.

As they walked up to him, the security officers reported that they heard Rosenbaum say either, "I will meet you later" or "I will see you in the car."

The problem was that investigators determined that no call had been made or received at that time. Rosenbaum told the council he thought he had felt his phone vibrate, and as Dillard's security approached, he wasn't sure if someone was on the other end or not so he just said, "I'll get back with you later."

The council vote on Rosenbaum was unanimous with two people abstaining because of personal ties to the chief.

Rosenbaum has been employed by the Spanish Fork Police Department for 33 years, about 25 of those years as chief of police, according to a POST report.

In an unrelated case, POST recommended that Johnson, the Grantsville police chief, be decertified for three years. The council approved an alternate motion, on a mixed vote, to reduce his penalty to 18 months.

In October of 2010, Johnson took his 15-year-old son hunting for the first time. His son shot a deer, but it turned out to be on private property. Johnson said he did not know he was on private property.

Johnson was charged in 4th District Court in Heber City with wanton destruction of wildlife, a class A misdemeanor. He pleaded guilty as part of a plea in abeyance and the charge was later dismissed.

As opposed to Rosenbaum's slow and calm speech to the POST council Thursday, Johnson was more excited and animated as he tried to explain that he had just wanted to share a father-son hunting experience.

"I'm not a hunter no more. To be honest with you, I thought I was obeying the law," he said. "I honestly at the time did not think it was wrong. ... I'll swear on a stack of Bibles, when I tagged that deer, I didn't think it was a big deal."

Questions were also raised about why Johnson tagged the deer that his son shot and about a confrontation he had with a forest service officer.

At one point during his comments to POST, Johnson expressed frustration with the state rules and regulations for deer hunting.

"I'll never hunt again, and neither will my son. It's over. There are too many imaginary lines out there," he said. "I don't even understand wildlife laws. I'll never hunt again."

As a final plea, Johnson said he realized he made a mistake and he pleaded guilty in court to try and make it right. "I would never intentionally break the law," he said.

Johnson's attorney also argued to the council that the possible three-year decertification did not match the severity of the offense.

"This is not a case of trophy hunting. This is not a case of poaching. This is not a case of people going out and taking protected wildlife in reckless disregard of our laws," he said.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS