Lane reductions causing gridlock in Utah County
North section of freeway to open in June
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
AMERICAN FORK — No pain, no gain.
That's the motto on the I-15 CORE project in Utah County, where drivers between Lindon and Lehi are often finding themselves stuck in traffic, especially during the morning and afternoon commutes.
“You'll notice the contractor is doing some concrete paving work in the middle of the freeway in that area,” said Todd Jensen, the I-15 CORE project director. “It's really about creating work space, so that work can safely be accomplished.”
Traffic really starts to bottleneck, as the four lanes squeeze down to three in both directions of the freeway in the American Fork area. It's one of many spots where the warmer weather is allowing the construction to get going again.
The major area of focus on the project this summer will be in Orem. "There is some more work that needs to happen, particularly in the Orem interchange areas," Jensen said. "We've got 1600 North, 800 North and Orem Center Street, in which all will be reconstructed."
But the news isn’t all bad. Motorists who are getting stuck in traffic right now will be rewarded in just three months. The northbound section of freeway will be completely finished and opened from Lindon to Lehi.
"We'll be done at the end of June of this year, and so that's good news. You'll have all lanes open at that time, in that particular area, and then the rest of the project will be completed in December of this year," he said.
Jensen added that the mild winter helped the contractor, especially after the wet winter and spring last year.
UDOT plans to have the freeway in American Fork opened back to four lanes in each direction by April 11.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26