Lane reductions causing gridlock in Utah County
North section of freeway to open in June
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
AMERICAN FORK — No pain, no gain.
That's the motto on the I-15 CORE project in Utah County, where drivers between Lindon and Lehi are often finding themselves stuck in traffic, especially during the morning and afternoon commutes.
“You'll notice the contractor is doing some concrete paving work in the middle of the freeway in that area,” said Todd Jensen, the I-15 CORE project director. “It's really about creating work space, so that work can safely be accomplished.”
Traffic really starts to bottleneck, as the four lanes squeeze down to three in both directions of the freeway in the American Fork area. It's one of many spots where the warmer weather is allowing the construction to get going again.
The major area of focus on the project this summer will be in Orem. "There is some more work that needs to happen, particularly in the Orem interchange areas," Jensen said. "We've got 1600 North, 800 North and Orem Center Street, in which all will be reconstructed."
But the news isn’t all bad. Motorists who are getting stuck in traffic right now will be rewarded in just three months. The northbound section of freeway will be completely finished and opened from Lindon to Lehi.
"We'll be done at the end of June of this year, and so that's good news. You'll have all lanes open at that time, in that particular area, and then the rest of the project will be completed in December of this year," he said.
Jensen added that the mild winter helped the contractor, especially after the wet winter and spring last year.
UDOT plans to have the freeway in American Fork opened back to four lanes in each direction by April 11.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Body of 14-year-old American Fork boy...
- CNBC ranks Utah 3rd best state for business;...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 60
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 42
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 28
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- West Jordan City Council passes on... 18
- Hemp oil registration cards bring hope... 12