Children's Dance Theatre to premiere 'The Apple-Pip Princess'
Children's Dance Theatre
SALT LAKE CITY — “The Apple-Pip Princess,” a picture book by internationally renowned author Jane Ray, will be brought to life by the University of Utah Tanner Dance Program Children’s Dance Theatre on March 30 and 31 on the stage of Capitol Theatre.
Three sisters, daughters of a king, vie to win their father’s favor by doing something to “make their mark” — something to make him proud. The one who pleases him most will inherit his throne. Who will he choose — Suzanna, the oldest; Miranda, the middle sister; or the youngest princess, Serenity? And can the girl who inherits the throne restore life to the now barren kingdom?
The production, a celebration of the Tanner Dance Program’s 75th anniversary, is the result of a year-long collaboration among more than 13 CDT dance faculty; CDT’s resident composer, Tristan Moore; costume designers Wendy Turner, Cynthia Turner and Nancy Cook; and 300 dance students, ages 8 to 18.
Well-known Utah actress Anne Cullimore Decker will read the narration adapted by artistic director Mary Ann Lee from Ray’s picture book.
Although the dance faculty structure specific movements, students are invited to participate in the choreography process, according to Lee.
“The philosophy of Tanner Dance is holistic,” said Lee in a recent interview. “We encourage the students to engage in the creative process.”
“Because of this collaboration,” Lee said, “we get an amazing diversity in the choreography.”
Support from a variety of community and state organizations allows CDT to offer two free matinee performances for school children throughout the state. These performances will be Thursday and Friday, March 29 and 30, at the Capitol Theatre.
Rosemarie Howard lives in a 100-year-old house on Main Street, Springville, Utah. She enjoys creating multimedia projects. Her website is at www.dramaticdimensions.com.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- First trailer for 'Night at the Museum:...
- Farewell, Monty Python
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 16
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 1