Blue roundup: Despite tough schedule, Cougars could surprise
Tom Smart, Deseret News
The BYU football program, which is more than halfway through spring drills, will have a lot of returning players this fall and a challenging schedule.
As of now, according to the oddsmakers, the Cougars have a 125-1 shot at winning the national championship. CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman says not to count BYU out.
"The Cougars are the longest of long shots, but they might be worth keeping an eye. Usually teams beyond 75-1 are laughable options," Feldman writes. "Gritty QB Riley Nelson and dangerous WR Cody Hoffman are back to lead a team that finished 10-3 after a 2-2 start. It is worth noting that injuries have rocked the team this spring (among them: gifted soph WR Ross Apo banged up his shoulder, but is expected to be OK by summer, while LB Brandon Ogletree is dealing with a broken foot). I buy that this is a 10-win team and possibly better but the Cougars are further down this list for another reason: The schedule is problematic in that it has a handful of tricky games (back-to-back road games at Boise State and Utah and then a month later back-to-back road games at ND and Ga. Tech) yet doesn't have a true game or two where pollsters could point to at the end of the season to merit a BCS title game shot, meaning if BYU beats Boise State and/or ND, that alone would torpedo that opponent's merits unless, says, ND was 11-1 and beat USC."
Listen to coach Bronco Mendenhall after Tuesday's practice and his assessment of spring practices to this point.
Turning to basketball, watch a look back on the Cougars' recently completed NCAA Tournament appearance.
KSL color analyst Mark Durrant shares his review of the season.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41