Steven Senne, Associated Press
» View our political blog, with updates and analysis of the GOP presidential nomination process.
A powerful headline speaks volumes with just a few words. And Tuesday night after it became apparent Mitt Romney had defeated Rick Santorum in the Illinois Republican presidential primary, Internet headlines were shouting from the digital rooftops — so much so that numerous headlines managed to attach a palpable sense of blunt finality to what had just happened in the Prairie State.
Below is a sampling of some of the best the Romney-related headlines that prominent news sources ran Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, with links to the corresponding articles.
- Romney crushes Santorum in Illinois
- Romney ready to rumble with Obama
- Exits: Moderate electorate helps Mitt
- 'Party over' for Santorum?
Time Magazine's Swampland
- Mitt Romney takes Illinois
- A Romney victory but long road ahead
- Why Romney's experience argument is working
New York Times
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Vanished plane flew for more than six hours...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: Piracy...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Google cameras take rafting trip down...
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Picture of the two pilots on the missing...
- British judge hears arguments in case... 46
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 21
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- States explore free community college 14
- Obama says health care program is stable 14
- Utah among states wrestling with... 11
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9