Steven Senne, Associated Press
» View our political blog, with updates and analysis of the GOP presidential nomination process.
A powerful headline speaks volumes with just a few words. And Tuesday night after it became apparent Mitt Romney had defeated Rick Santorum in the Illinois Republican presidential primary, Internet headlines were shouting from the digital rooftops — so much so that numerous headlines managed to attach a palpable sense of blunt finality to what had just happened in the Prairie State.
Below is a sampling of some of the best the Romney-related headlines that prominent news sources ran Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, with links to the corresponding articles.
- Romney crushes Santorum in Illinois
- Romney ready to rumble with Obama
- Exits: Moderate electorate helps Mitt
- 'Party over' for Santorum?
Time Magazine's Swampland
- Mitt Romney takes Illinois
- A Romney victory but long road ahead
- Why Romney's experience argument is working
New York Times
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Some countries get Obama, but want his wife, too
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 31
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 27
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 19
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 18