Steven Senne, Associated Press
» View our political blog, with updates and analysis of the GOP presidential nomination process.
A powerful headline speaks volumes with just a few words. And Tuesday night after it became apparent Mitt Romney had defeated Rick Santorum in the Illinois Republican presidential primary, Internet headlines were shouting from the digital rooftops — so much so that numerous headlines managed to attach a palpable sense of blunt finality to what had just happened in the Prairie State.
Below is a sampling of some of the best the Romney-related headlines that prominent news sources ran Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, with links to the corresponding articles.
- Romney crushes Santorum in Illinois
- Romney ready to rumble with Obama
- Exits: Moderate electorate helps Mitt
- 'Party over' for Santorum?
Time Magazine's Swampland
- Mitt Romney takes Illinois
- A Romney victory but long road ahead
- Why Romney's experience argument is working
New York Times
- Colorado Mormons join other faiths in...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah USA's...
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary...
- Issues plaguing black families in the...
- IRS official: Washington scrutinized very...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 49
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 21
- Officials: NSA programs broke terrorist... 15
- IRS official: Washington scrutinized... 15
- Unpaid internships in jeopardy after... 14
- New York English teacher assigns... 13
- Obama steps up military aid to Syrian... 12