In Mitt Romney's win, headlines tell the whole story of Illinois primary
Steven Senne, Associated Press
» View our political blog, with updates and analysis of the GOP presidential nomination process.
A powerful headline speaks volumes with just a few words. And Tuesday night after it became apparent Mitt Romney had defeated Rick Santorum in the Illinois Republican presidential primary, Internet headlines were shouting from the digital rooftops — so much so that numerous headlines managed to attach a palpable sense of blunt finality to what had just happened in the Prairie State.
Below is a sampling of some of the best the Romney-related headlines that prominent news sources ran Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, with links to the corresponding articles.
- Romney crushes Santorum in Illinois
- Romney ready to rumble with Obama
- Exits: Moderate electorate helps Mitt
- 'Party over' for Santorum?
Time Magazine's Swampland
- Mitt Romney takes Illinois
- A Romney victory but long road ahead
- Why Romney's experience argument is working
New York Times
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of...
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following Oregon...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Utah Rep. Chaffetz announces uphill run for...
- Guatemalan mudslide death toll reaches 69,...
- A glare, a handshake, a pope: Busy UN summit...
- Hatch calls shutting down government over...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Gunman opens fire at Oregon college; at... 62
- 'A terrible day' - 9 killed by gunman... 61
- Investigation: Secret Service tried to... 52
- Obama says response to shootings has... 51
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Obama says fight against Islamic State... 26
- Clerk jailed over gay marriage says... 24