High school boys soccer: Bear River beats Stansbury 3-1 in Region 11
STANSBURY PARK — In a fast-paced and physical Region 11 matchup, the Bear River Bears were able to knock off the Stansbury Stallions 3-1 on Tuesday.
Zach Sharp scored the lone goal for the Stallions.
“I think we opened it up a lot on the corners and had some good crosses, especially early in the first half of the game,” said Bear River coach Chad Munns. “We had many great opportunities to score.”
The game was fast from the get-go. Bear River came out and had an excellent chance at a breakaway goal, but the Bears were unable to convert. Just a few minutes after the miscue, however, Christensen buried one into the back of the net and the Bears had a 1-0 lead.
Moments later, Sharp was able to tie the game at 1-1.
The parity didn't last, however.
After a diving save by Stansbury goalkeeper Kyler Clements, and a great stop from defender Bryce Terry, Porter broke through the defense and gave the Bears a 2-1 lead — and lots of momentum heading into the intermission.
Chris Cantu scored early in the second half to make it 3-1 Bears, and although both teams had several chances to score, there were no more goals the rest of the game.
The Bears move to 2-0 on the year, and the Stallions drop to 2-1. Each team will be back in action on Friday. Stansbury will face the Weber Warriors, while the Bears take on the Morgan Trojans.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a junior at Stansbury High School.
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 61
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 31
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28