High school boys soccer: Bear River beats Stansbury 3-1 in Region 11
STANSBURY PARK — In a fast-paced and physical Region 11 matchup, the Bear River Bears were able to knock off the Stansbury Stallions 3-1 on Tuesday.
Zach Sharp scored the lone goal for the Stallions.
“I think we opened it up a lot on the corners and had some good crosses, especially early in the first half of the game,” said Bear River coach Chad Munns. “We had many great opportunities to score.”
The game was fast from the get-go. Bear River came out and had an excellent chance at a breakaway goal, but the Bears were unable to convert. Just a few minutes after the miscue, however, Christensen buried one into the back of the net and the Bears had a 1-0 lead.
Moments later, Sharp was able to tie the game at 1-1.
The parity didn't last, however.
After a diving save by Stansbury goalkeeper Kyler Clements, and a great stop from defender Bryce Terry, Porter broke through the defense and gave the Bears a 2-1 lead — and lots of momentum heading into the intermission.
Chris Cantu scored early in the second half to make it 3-1 Bears, and although both teams had several chances to score, there were no more goals the rest of the game.
The Bears move to 2-0 on the year, and the Stallions drop to 2-1. Each team will be back in action on Friday. Stansbury will face the Weber Warriors, while the Bears take on the Morgan Trojans.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a junior at Stansbury High School.
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 90
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50