SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster has announced that Bruce Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect and head of the B.W. Bastian Foundation, will deliver the commencement address at the college’s commencement ceremony.
In addition, Noreen Roullard, a member of the Westminster board of trustees, will receive an honorary degree.
The ceremony will take place June 2, at 1:45 p.m. at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive (2200 West) in West Valley City.
Bastian is a computer programmer, businessman, philanthropist and social activist. Bastian received a bachelor's in music education and a master's in computer science at BYU.
In 1978, Bastian co-founded the WordPerfect Corporation with Alan Ashton, and served as chairman of WordPerfect Corp. until 1994. He is a longtime supporter of many performing arts organizations, including Ballet West and the Utah Symphony and Opera.
As a social activist, Bastian is involved in local and national service projects and has established his own charitable foundation, the B. W. Bastian Foundation, which supports organizations that embrace equality.
Bastian and Rouillard will receive doctor of Humanities degrees at the commencement ceremony.
Rouillard has served on the Westminster College board of trustees since 1991. She attended Westminster and met her husband, a Westminster alumnus, when they were both undergraduate students. She has continued a family legacy of serving on the Westminster Woman's Board and is past president of the organization.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Woman critically injured in Bountiful...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 75
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17