SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster has announced that Bruce Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect and head of the B.W. Bastian Foundation, will deliver the commencement address at the college’s commencement ceremony.
In addition, Noreen Roullard, a member of the Westminster board of trustees, will receive an honorary degree.
The ceremony will take place June 2, at 1:45 p.m. at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive (2200 West) in West Valley City.
Bastian is a computer programmer, businessman, philanthropist and social activist. Bastian received a bachelor's in music education and a master's in computer science at BYU.
In 1978, Bastian co-founded the WordPerfect Corporation with Alan Ashton, and served as chairman of WordPerfect Corp. until 1994. He is a longtime supporter of many performing arts organizations, including Ballet West and the Utah Symphony and Opera.
As a social activist, Bastian is involved in local and national service projects and has established his own charitable foundation, the B. W. Bastian Foundation, which supports organizations that embrace equality.
Bastian and Rouillard will receive doctor of Humanities degrees at the commencement ceremony.
Rouillard has served on the Westminster College board of trustees since 1991. She attended Westminster and met her husband, a Westminster alumnus, when they were both undergraduate students. She has continued a family legacy of serving on the Westminster Woman's Board and is past president of the organization.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11