SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster has announced that Bruce Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect and head of the B.W. Bastian Foundation, will deliver the commencement address at the college’s commencement ceremony.
In addition, Noreen Roullard, a member of the Westminster board of trustees, will receive an honorary degree.
The ceremony will take place June 2, at 1:45 p.m. at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive (2200 West) in West Valley City.
Bastian is a computer programmer, businessman, philanthropist and social activist. Bastian received a bachelor's in music education and a master's in computer science at BYU.
In 1978, Bastian co-founded the WordPerfect Corporation with Alan Ashton, and served as chairman of WordPerfect Corp. until 1994. He is a longtime supporter of many performing arts organizations, including Ballet West and the Utah Symphony and Opera.
As a social activist, Bastian is involved in local and national service projects and has established his own charitable foundation, the B. W. Bastian Foundation, which supports organizations that embrace equality.
Bastian and Rouillard will receive doctor of Humanities degrees at the commencement ceremony.
Rouillard has served on the Westminster College board of trustees since 1991. She attended Westminster and met her husband, a Westminster alumnus, when they were both undergraduate students. She has continued a family legacy of serving on the Westminster Woman's Board and is past president of the organization.
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah, question...
- Hearing begins to determine fate of teen...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 55
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 39
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 19
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 12