SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster has announced that Bruce Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect and head of the B.W. Bastian Foundation, will deliver the commencement address at the college’s commencement ceremony.
In addition, Noreen Roullard, a member of the Westminster board of trustees, will receive an honorary degree.
The ceremony will take place June 2, at 1:45 p.m. at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive (2200 West) in West Valley City.
Bastian is a computer programmer, businessman, philanthropist and social activist. Bastian received a bachelor's in music education and a master's in computer science at BYU.
In 1978, Bastian co-founded the WordPerfect Corporation with Alan Ashton, and served as chairman of WordPerfect Corp. until 1994. He is a longtime supporter of many performing arts organizations, including Ballet West and the Utah Symphony and Opera.
As a social activist, Bastian is involved in local and national service projects and has established his own charitable foundation, the B. W. Bastian Foundation, which supports organizations that embrace equality.
Bastian and Rouillard will receive doctor of Humanities degrees at the commencement ceremony.
Rouillard has served on the Westminster College board of trustees since 1991. She attended Westminster and met her husband, a Westminster alumnus, when they were both undergraduate students. She has continued a family legacy of serving on the Westminster Woman's Board and is past president of the organization.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12