Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — The Beach Boys are adding a 50th date to their 50th anniversary tour — Stadium of Fire at BYU's LaVell Edwards Stadium on July 4.
Part of America's Freedom Festival at Provo, the Stadium of Fire has brought in big-name headlining acts over the years including Carrie Underwood, Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. This will be the Beach Boys' second apperance at Stadium of Fire. The group performed previously in 1992.
Ticket prices for the event range from $25 to $120 and are available by calling the BYU ticket office at 801-422-2981. Presale begins on March 21 at 9 a.m. for thosewho sign up on stadiumoffire.com. General sale begins March 23 at 9 a.m.
"The Beach Boys' apperance at Stadium of Fire provides a fantastic opportunity for Utah residents to see the reunited band perform live in concert for the first time in decades," Paul Warner, executive director of America's Freedom Festival at Provo, said in a news release. "I can't think of better way to spend a beautiful Independence Day evening than enjoying the Beach Boys' classic summer tunes."
Warner said people still remember the Beach Boy's 1992 Stadium of Fire performance, which he called "unforgettable."
"I don't think we've ever had a performer or group at Stadium of Fire that energized the crowd as much as the Beach Boys did," he said. "I'm sure this year's Stadium of Fire will be no different."
The Grammy Award-winning Beach Boys scored four No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 between 1964 and 1988 including "I Get Around," "Help Me, Rhonda," "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo." The band's greatest hits collection, Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of the Beach Boys is approaching triple-platinum sales and the group plans on releasing an album of new material sometime this year.
The 2012 show will also include performances by Stadium of Fire Talent Search contestants and a stadium fireworks show in America.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Sprinkler line floods Eastmont Middle School,...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20