Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz narrowly dodged a bullet on their home court Saturday night.
Utah tied its game against Golden State in the closing seconds of regulation, stopped the Warriors' potential game-winning shot, then staged a 12-2 scoring spurt in overtime to grab a 99-92 win at EnergySolutions Arena.
Derrick Favors, moved into the starting lineup when the team's leading scorer and rebounder, Al Jefferson, missed the game to attend his grandmother's funeral, responded with a huge 23-point, 17-rebound performance. Both numbers were career-bests for the second-year center/forward. He scored four of his points in Utah's decisive 12-2 surge in OT.
Paul Millsap scored Utah's last six points in overtime and wound up with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Jamaal Tinsley, also given more playing time due to the absence of Earl Watson (ankle injury), also had 13 points for the Jazz.
Gordon Hayward contributed a dozen points and a half-dozen rebounds, and Devin Harris had 12 points and five assists as Utah moved its season record back to .500 (22-22) with the win.
For Golden State (18-24), Nate Robinson scored 19 points, but had his shot partially blocked on a drive to the basket with time running out in regulation. David Lee had 18 points — 14 of those coming in the first half — and seven rebounds, Klay Thompson added 17 points and Dorell Wright contributed 13 points and 10 boards.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41