High school baseball: Stansbury Stallions bounce back by beating Bonneville 20-4
STANSBURY PARK — In Game 2 for both teams on Saturday, the Bonneville Lakers and the Stansbury Stallions looked to bounce back from big losses to Maple Mountain.
Stansbury was able to bounce back in a big way.
The Stallions dominated from the first inning on and took the game, 20-4. Stansbury blasted three home runs, and Jesse Clingman pitched a complete game, striking out ten and allowing only five hits.
The Lakers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, using an RBI double by Will Heward and an RBI single by Jack Hall. The game fell apart for the Lakers from there, however. Stansbury scored 20 unanswered runs, and the Lakers were only able to muster three more hits.
The Stallions went to work in the home half of the first, scoring four runs. Wyatt Branch hit an RBI single up the middle, and two batters later Tyson Haddon hit a two-run home run to left. Two batters later Chandler Staley joined the party and hit a solo shot to straightaway center that tied the game at four apiece.
The bottom of the second saw even more offense from the Stallions. Jesse Clingman hit a two-run double, and Jake Witkowski hit a three-run homer to left center field. The Stallions exploded for nine runs in the inning and the game got even uglier from there.
With the win, the Stallions move to 6-2 on the year, and Bonneville drops to 1-3.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a junior at Stansbury High School.
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 111
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29