BYU men's golf: Cougars head to final day of National Invitational Tournament in 2nd place
TUCSON, Ariz. — BYU finished the second round of the National Invitational Tournament at Omni Tucson National Golf Club in second place after shooting 10-under par to give the Cougars a 3-under 134 performance on the day. BYU trails San Diego State by just one stroke heading into the final round of play.
BYU junior Zac Blair led all golfers after Round 1, shooting a 7-under 65 to lead the Cougars to third place going into Round 2.
Blair began the day with a bogey but quickly found his stroke, finishing the round with eight birdies. In his final six holes Blair recorded five-straight birdies before finishing with a par on his last hole.
Blair was not the only BYU golfer who shot under par in Round 1 as Adam Tebbs finished the first 18 holes shooting a 1-under 71 to tie for 8th overall.
In Round 2, Blair found himself on par in each hole with the exception of three that the Ogden native birdied. Blair recorded just one more stroke than leader J.J. Spaun of San Diego St. at the end of the day for a 10-under 134 score on Friday. Meanwhile, Blair’s teammate Justin Keiley concluded the day in a tie for ninth place, shooting 1-under 143.
The Cougars will tee off on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. MT as they look to take the lead in the final round of the invitational. Live stats can be found at www.golfstat.com.
Morgan Jones is a soon-to-be graduate of Brigham Young University and intern with BYU Athletic Communications. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 64
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28