NCAA tournament: Marquette knocks BYU out of the tournament, 88-68
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
LOUISVILLE — Once again, BYU fell behind big in the first half of an NCAA Tournament game.
The Cougars rallied again, but this time it wasn't enough as No. 14 seed BYU fell to No. 3 Marquette, 88-68, Thursday afternoon at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville.
Just like they did Tuesday against Iona, the Cougars found themselves down by 15 at halftime. BYU battled back and cut the deficit to seven early in the second half but could get no closer.
The Cougars played much of the first half without senior forward Noah Hartsock, who picked up three fouls early in the first half.
Hartsock returned at the 14:47 mark of the second half, with BYU down 10. The Cougars cut the deficit to eight, but the Golden Eagles answered every time BYU rallied.
Brandon Davies scored a team-high 19 points while Hartsock finished with 15.
Marquette's Jae Crowder recorded 25 points and 16 rebounds.
The Cougars finished the season with a 26-9 record. Marquette will face No. 6 seed Murray State on Saturday.
LOUISVILLE — If BYU's strategy is to fall behind early again, it's working.
The Cougars trail at halftime against No. 3 seed Marquette, 49-34, at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville in the NCAA Tournament.
BYU is down by 15, the same deficit it faced at halftime of Tuesday's game in Dayton against Iona before staging a historic comeback.
The Golden Eagles have led by as many as 19.
Marquette star Jae Crowder, the Big East player of the year, has been dominant, having already recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. The Golden Eagles have drained six 3-pointers, including three by Crowder.
BYU is shooting 37 percent at intermission. The Cougars got down 14-4 within the first five minutes and are struggling to stay in the game.
Noah Hartsock picked up three fouls and sat on the bench for much of the first half.
Brandon Davies leads BYU with nine points.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 104
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 59
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40