Home opener for BYU baseball set for Saturday against Seattle University
PROVO — After 13 straight games on the road, BYU baseball opens its home season 1 p.m. Saturday against Seattle University in a doubleheader.
BYU (6-7) hosts Seattle (9-7) in the first of 15 games televised internationally by BYUtv, which will broadcast both games of the doubleheader with Jarom Jordan (play-by-play) and Gary Sheide (analyst). Radio 960 AM will only broadcast the first game of the twin bill with Brent Norton calling the play-by-play.
In Game 1 it will be BYU’s Chris Capper (0-3, 4.58) vs. Seattle’s Brandon Kizer (1-1, 3.48). Game 2 will have lefty Mark Anderson (3-0, 1.96) for the Cougars and Seafth Howe (2-1, 2.35) for the Redhawks.
“We’ve got to be ready to get back on track,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “We need to battle better at the plate, hit balls harder and square up the way we are supposed to do.”
Among the Cougar hitting leaders are freshman shortstop Tanner Chauncey with a .394 batting average and sophomore first baseman Brock Whitney with a six-game hitting streak.
Following the doubleheader with Seattle, BYU returns to West Coast Conference action next week in a three-game series at Portland to start a swing of eight consecutive road games. Then the next action at Larry H. Miller Field will be on April 5 to start a three-game series with Loyola Marymount.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 110
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 43
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14