Jared Hargrave, Deseret News
SARATOGA SPRINGS — Firefighters extinguished three wildfires in four days in the past week on the west side of Utah Lake — all of them started by gunfire.
“If things don’t change, as far as our precipitation and expected rain, we could be in for a real rough wildfire season,” said Jason Curry with the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands.
The foothills west of the lake have been popular for target and clay pigeon shooting for years. Curry said hundreds of target shooters visit the area daily. "We could have anywhere from 100 to 200 cars in any given time," he said.
Target shooters sparked fires Friday, Saturday and Monday. One scorched 23 acres before fire crews put it out. At the base of that 23-acre fire, remnants of clay pigeons were visible. Fortunately, the people who started the fire stuck around and took responsibility.
Rules are posted, but it's up to the target shooters to reduce the risk. When Pat Buchanan and Blake Orullian shoot clay pigeons in the area, they say they're careful not to shoot at dry brush and bare rocks where a spark may start a fire, and they think about wildfire containment.
We're "making sure that (the possibility of starting a wildfire) can be minimized, for safety purposes. Not only that, (but that) it can be put out and extinguished immediately," Buchanan said.
"I don't shoot in brush. I shoot in mounds of dirt," target shooter Alex Malone said.
Curry recommends shooters choose a backstop well and avoid shooting into an area that’s filled with rocks, boulders and vegetation. He also recommends keeping a shovel on hand and extra water to extinguish a fire.
"People just need to be aware that fire is a possibility," Curry said.
He said exploding targets, targets that fragment like glass, or metallic targets are not allowed, but clay pigeons are OK. He also said people should avoid target practice on hot, dry and windy days.
Right now, there's no discussion about restricting shooting in that area.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 67
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18