OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 16
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 14
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 12
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11