OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 86
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16