OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 61
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 44
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 16
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16