OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 35
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 21
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15