OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Utahns stay out late to see lunar eclipse
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Lawmakers to BLM: Sending seized Nevada... 23
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23