OGDEN — Ogden Police Lt. Mike Ashment has been selected to be the department's new police chief.
Ashment, who was head of the department's major crimes unit, replaces long time chief Jon Greiner, who was reluctantly fired by city officials in December after a federal panel determined he was in violation of the Hatch Act when he launched a candidacy for the state Senate in 2006.
The termination was necessary, city leaders said, in order for Ogden to continue receiving certain federal grants and loans.
Wayne Tarwater had been serving as the interim chief for the past three months.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Nebo educator named Health Teacher of the Year
- Class experiment teaches students...
- Recreation, road improvement projects in...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 102
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake City Council allocates... 8