Timpview football coach suspended amid financial investigations
• Expenditures to Universal Athletics for uniforms that totaled $19,923.13 without first acquiring bids.
• Expenditures to Yardworx that totaled $14,680, which allegedly were acquired without bids and using split invoices in a possible attempt to avoid the bidding process.
• Personal car repairs for Wong, who is also a driver's education teacher, totaling $650.46.
• Expenditures on meals for coaches and/or players totaling $12,820.
• A reimbursement request from former principal Bayles for airfare for his wife to Atlanta. The request for $358 was approved, but the signature is illegible.
Because the investigation is ongoing, district officials declined to comment on Wong's possible firing. According to Provo School District policies, Wong is entitled to file a grievance within 15 days of his suspension. The district is required to give employees 30 days' notice of termination.
Wong told the Deseret News after a board hearing in December that he welcomed more guidance from the district on fundraising and donations. He also said he never did anything without his principal's approval.
When asked about that, district business manager Kerry Smith said the accounting issues under investigation were not confined to the football program.
“It was definitely a cultural issue at Timpview High School that we need to correct,” Smith said Tuesday.
He said in looking at other programs and the district's other high school, Provo High, investigators didn't find the same financial concerns.
“Our investigation yielded no indication that this is a district-wide problem,” Smith said.
In suspending and possibly firing Wong, the district cuts ties with one of the winningest coaches in state history.
Wong was hired as head coach of the Timpview football program in 2005. During that time he amassed an unprecedented 77-10 record (.885 winning percentage) in seven seasons, and the team was region champion or co-region champion every season that he coached. He also won state football titles in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Wong was 20-3 in playoff contests. His .897 winning percentage is tops all-time in Utah.
Under him, Timpview won 36 straight football games from 2006-2009, which is a Utah state record.
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may have just...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Key witness in criminal cases against...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may... 51
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 30
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17