OMAHA, Neb.— Transfer Christian Mua and sophomores Tyler Westensee and Kelton Caldwell rose to the occasion Monday in BYU’s 19-9 victory over the University of Nebraska-Omaha.
Mua belted a solo homer in the eighth when he pinch hit for Caldwell, who had gone 3-for-5 on the afternoon. That was the first dinger of the season for the Cougars who evened their record at 6-6.
Caldwell hit three of BYU’s 15 singles, with teammates Wes Guenther and Stephen Wells accounting for the only Cougar doubles of the day. The first of Caldwell’s hits was an RBI single in the five-run first inning.
The UNO Mavericks (3-13) closed the score to 8-4 in the fourth when Westensee came on in relief of Cougar starter David Parry. Westensee received help in the form of a six-run fifth inning when BYU expanded its lead to 14-4.
“I’m proud we didn’t overlook this team,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “Our guys didn’t get to the hotel until 3 this morning and we went to the ballpark at 11 with little rest and little to eat.”
The Mavericks walked the first two Cougars of the game to set up that five-run first inning.
“Earlier this season we had been on the other side like they were with these walks in the first inning,” said Law. “It’s nice to have one go in our favor. We continue to swing the bats well and Westensee pitched an outstanding game.”
Cougar first baseman Brock Whitney led the team with three RBIs on a 2-for-4 outing.
BYU next plays Creighton (7-6) on Tuesday afternoon at TR Ameritrade Ballpark, site of this year’s College World Series in Omaha.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Chase Fischer sets school record for...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 58
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29