UVU baseball: Wolverines play midweek series at 11th-ranked Arizona State
OREM — Utah Valley University continues its tough early-season schedule by playing its third ranked opponent of the season in a two-game, midweek series at No. 11 Arizona State University. The games, slated for Tuesday and Wednesday at Packard Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Right-hander Adam Gunn (1-1, 2.08) is scheduled to face off against lefty Adam McCreery (1-0, 0.00) in Tuesday's opener. McCreery, a freshman, was a 14th-round pick of the Minnesota Twins last summer.
Jeremy Gendlek, who is Wednesday's starter for Utah Valley, was named the Great West Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday. Gendlek pitched a complete-game in a 3-1 win over Southern Utah over the weekend. That win was sandwiched between wins of 12-5 and 10-0 over the T-Birds to sweep three games from the in-state rival in Cedar City.
Sean Moysh batted .538 in the series with two triples. In the series opener, Austin Heaps had a three-hit, five-RBI day as part of a 19-hit afternoon for the Wolverines. In the finale, five different pitchers combined on a two-hit shutout. Goose Kallunki leads Utah Valley with a .373 batting average.
The Pac-12 power Sun Devils are led by Joey DiMichele, who is batting .481 with two home runs, six doubles, four triples and 21 RBIs already this season. DiMichele was the Pac-10 batting champion in 2011. As a staff, ASU is limiting opponents to a .216 batting average and has a combined 2.28 ERA.
The Wolverines travel to Northern California for a three-game series at Saint Mary's of the West Coast Conference starting Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. The teams are also schedule to play Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19