UVU baseball: Wolverines play midweek series at 11th-ranked Arizona State
OREM — Utah Valley University continues its tough early-season schedule by playing its third ranked opponent of the season in a two-game, midweek series at No. 11 Arizona State University. The games, slated for Tuesday and Wednesday at Packard Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Right-hander Adam Gunn (1-1, 2.08) is scheduled to face off against lefty Adam McCreery (1-0, 0.00) in Tuesday's opener. McCreery, a freshman, was a 14th-round pick of the Minnesota Twins last summer.
Jeremy Gendlek, who is Wednesday's starter for Utah Valley, was named the Great West Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday. Gendlek pitched a complete-game in a 3-1 win over Southern Utah over the weekend. That win was sandwiched between wins of 12-5 and 10-0 over the T-Birds to sweep three games from the in-state rival in Cedar City.
Sean Moysh batted .538 in the series with two triples. In the series opener, Austin Heaps had a three-hit, five-RBI day as part of a 19-hit afternoon for the Wolverines. In the finale, five different pitchers combined on a two-hit shutout. Goose Kallunki leads Utah Valley with a .373 batting average.
The Pac-12 power Sun Devils are led by Joey DiMichele, who is batting .481 with two home runs, six doubles, four triples and 21 RBIs already this season. DiMichele was the Pac-10 batting champion in 2011. As a staff, ASU is limiting opponents to a .216 batting average and has a combined 2.28 ERA.
The Wolverines travel to Northern California for a three-game series at Saint Mary's of the West Coast Conference starting Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. The teams are also schedule to play Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28