Price man pleads guilty to 5 counts of attempted murder
PRICE — A Price man pleaded guilty Monday to five counts of attempted murder as part of a plea bargain with Carbon County prosecutors.
Gary Hinkins Jr. admitted that he assaulted his wife on Feb. 26, 2011, causing life-threatening injuries, and then fired a shotgun at four law enforcement officers who responded to the home after the assault.
Hinkins, 41, was hiding in an RV behind his home at 211 S. 400 West about 6:30 p.m. before he was found by two sheriff's deputies who ordered him to exit the RV. Hinkins ignored the commands and fired at least seven shots through the walls and windshield of the RV, according to Price police. One officer returned fire, but Hinkins was not wounded.
Carbon County sheriff's deputy Michael Hreinson was hit in the leg and torso by pellets from one shotgun blast.
Deputy Tory Christiansen and Adult Probation & Parole agents Jeff Wood and Cletis Steele were also in the line of fire, but escaped injury.
In exchange for Hinkins' guilty pleas to the attempted murder charges, prosecutors agreed to dismiss one count of recklessness involving an incendiary device, a second-degree felony, and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Hinkins is scheduled to be sentenced May 29. Prosecutors have said they will seek to have all five of the 1-to-15 year prison sentences run consecutively.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 19
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14