PRICE — A Price man pleaded guilty Monday to five counts of attempted murder as part of a plea bargain with Carbon County prosecutors.
Gary Hinkins Jr. admitted that he assaulted his wife on Feb. 26, 2011, causing life-threatening injuries, and then fired a shotgun at four law enforcement officers who responded to the home after the assault.
Hinkins, 41, was hiding in an RV behind his home at 211 S. 400 West about 6:30 p.m. before he was found by two sheriff's deputies who ordered him to exit the RV. Hinkins ignored the commands and fired at least seven shots through the walls and windshield of the RV, according to Price police. One officer returned fire, but Hinkins was not wounded.
Carbon County sheriff's deputy Michael Hreinson was hit in the leg and torso by pellets from one shotgun blast.
Deputy Tory Christiansen and Adult Probation & Parole agents Jeff Wood and Cletis Steele were also in the line of fire, but escaped injury.
In exchange for Hinkins' guilty pleas to the attempted murder charges, prosecutors agreed to dismiss one count of recklessness involving an incendiary device, a second-degree felony, and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Hinkins is scheduled to be sentenced May 29. Prosecutors have said they will seek to have all five of the 1-to-15 year prison sentences run consecutively.
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for $120K...
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Snowstorm makes travel tricky along Wasatch...
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah...
- Family of child who survived abuse raises...
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer
- Search warrant reveals possible charges...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 80
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah... 33
- Minimum wage debate rages on 24
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 21
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for... 20
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 17
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 16
- Economy strong but face of Utah... 14