Price man pleads guilty to 5 counts of attempted murder
PRICE — A Price man pleaded guilty Monday to five counts of attempted murder as part of a plea bargain with Carbon County prosecutors.
Gary Hinkins Jr. admitted that he assaulted his wife on Feb. 26, 2011, causing life-threatening injuries, and then fired a shotgun at four law enforcement officers who responded to the home after the assault.
Hinkins, 41, was hiding in an RV behind his home at 211 S. 400 West about 6:30 p.m. before he was found by two sheriff's deputies who ordered him to exit the RV. Hinkins ignored the commands and fired at least seven shots through the walls and windshield of the RV, according to Price police. One officer returned fire, but Hinkins was not wounded.
Carbon County sheriff's deputy Michael Hreinson was hit in the leg and torso by pellets from one shotgun blast.
Deputy Tory Christiansen and Adult Probation & Parole agents Jeff Wood and Cletis Steele were also in the line of fire, but escaped injury.
In exchange for Hinkins' guilty pleas to the attempted murder charges, prosecutors agreed to dismiss one count of recklessness involving an incendiary device, a second-degree felony, and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Hinkins is scheduled to be sentenced May 29. Prosecutors have said they will seek to have all five of the 1-to-15 year prison sentences run consecutively.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11