LAS VEGAS — In its first outdoor match of the year, the Utah State men’s tennis team struggled to find its ground to get past UNLV, Friday afternoon, falling 7-0.
In early doubles action, the three Aggie pairs were in it to put up a fight, but the Rebels pulled through, winning all three sets. Junior Sven Poslusny and freshman Marcus Fritz were in the No. 1 position and fell to Bernard Schoeman and Brian Kenyon, (8-7, (7-5)).
Sophomore Andrew Whiting and his brother, junior Lenny Whiting were taken down by Tamas Batyi and Johannes Markel, (8-4), while freshman Matt Sweet and senior Nate Ballam lost to Charlie Alvarado and Rene Ruegamer, (8-3).
Moving to singles action, the Aggies were taken down in straight sets across the board. In the No. 1 position, Poslusny was defeated by Rugamer, (6-2, 6-0), while Fritz fell to Alex Bull, (6-4, 6-1). Moving up to the No. 3 spot, sophomore Fredrik Peterson fell to Batyi, (7-6, 6-0). Alvarado was defeated by Markel, (7-6, 6-2), while Lenny Whiting was taken down by Markel, (6-2, 6-2). Ballam concluded the match, falling to Willie Sublette, (6-2, 6-1).
The Aggies continue competition from Las Vegas, Saturday, as they take on Northern Arizona University. Action will get underway at 10:30 a.m. (MT) at the Frank and Vicki Fertitta Tennis Complex
UNLV 7, Utah State 0 Singles: 1. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 6-2, 6-0; 2. Alex Bull (UNLV) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-4, 6-1; 3. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 7-6, 6-1; 4. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 7-6, 6-2; 5. Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Lenny Whiting (USU) 6-2, 6-2; 6. Willie Sublette (UNLV) def. Nate Ballam (USU) 6-2, 6-1
Doubles: 1. Bernard Schoeman/Brian Kenyon (UNLV) def. Sven Poslusny/Marcus Fritz (USU) 8-7 (7-5); 2. Tamas Batyi/Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Andrew Whiting/Lenny Whiting (USU) 8-4; 3. Charlie Alvarado/Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) def. Matt Sweet/Nate Ballam (USU) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33