Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News Archive
A former BYU student is being referred to as "a rising star" in the world of food television.
An article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review recently featured Kelsey Nixon, the 27-year-old host of "Kelsey's Essentials," a cooking show that targets a younger viewer demographic. The program is on the Cooking Channel, a sister network of the Food Network.
"The dishes she prepares on her cooking show ... appeal to everyone, she says, but are especially geared toward busy young people who want to eat well but have little time for complex recipes," wrote Candy Williams, the author of the article.
The article states Nixon got her first taste of cooking for TV as a college student at Brigham Young University, where she was a broadcast-journalism major. She created a cooking show called "Kelsey's Kitchen" for the university's cable television station that focused on simple and affordable meals for college students as a class project. She went on to produce and host 100 episodes in two years.
"It gave me wonderful experience in front of the camera," Nixon told Williams.
Nixon, an Ogden High grad, spoke about her experience on the reality series, "Next Food Network Star," in a 2010 Deseret News feature by Valerie Phillips.
The Utah native also showed off her cooking skills on NBC's "Today Show."
Cooking and preserving yummy recipes has also been a priority for members of an LDS ward in Cedaredge, Colo. According to this article in the Delta County Independent, the members published a cookbook with prize-winning recipes under the title, "Let Us Break Bread Together."
"Many of the recipes have won blue ribbons in the Delta County Fair," said Jennifer Bowler, the project's chairwoman. "We're excited to share all these wonderful recipes with the people living in our area."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Choosing to act
- 7 software tools to help with family history...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 35
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 12
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- New Harmony: Reading the pope's words... 6
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5