UVU men's basketball: Wolverines will face NJIT in Great West semifinals
CHICAGO — Great West Conference champion and top seed Utah Valley University will face NJIT in the semifinals of the 2012 GWC Tournament on Friday at 11 a.m. on the campus of Chicago State University.
The Wolverines — the Great West's back-to-back regular season champs — are looking for their first tournament title in the conference's three-year existence. UVU went 9-1 in league play and is currently 20-11 overall.
No. 4 seed NJIT edged fifth-seeded Houston Baptist in Thursday's quarterfinal, 65-64, to advance to face UVU. The Wolverines won both meetings against the Highlanders, including a double-overtime thriller, 99-97, on Feb. 9 in Newark, N.J. NJIT is led by the GWC Player of the Year, Isaiah Wilkerson, who scored 20 in the win over Houston Baptist.
"We were very fortunate to pull out a victory in New Jersey," said UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker, who on Wednesday received his second straight GWC Coach of the Year award. "NJIT has a lot of scoring explosiveness, is arguably the most athletic team in the conference and they also have the conference player of the year. We have a lot of respect for them and are really going to have to be ready to go."
Along with Williams and Robinson, also receiving all-conference honors were Ben Aird and Holton Hunsaker, who were both on the second team, as well as Keith Thompson, who was an honorable mention. Alfonzo Hubbard was selected as the league's sixth man of the year and made the all-newcomer team.
The other semifinal game pits No. 2 seed North Dakota and No. 3 seed Texas-Pan American at 1:30 p.m. The GWC championship game tips on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26