Blue roundup: Pundits predicting at-large berth for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
According to most bracketology experts, BYU should land an NCAA Tournament at-large berth on Sunday.
Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg explains the Cougars should be one of the last four teams into the Big Dance:
"When Gonzaga trounced BYU in the WCC semifinals on Saturday night, it seemed as though the Cougars' at-large resume would inevitably get eclipsed by too many fellow bubble teams in the next eight days," Eisenberg writes. "Well, six days later, the Cougars seem to still be holding on to a tenuous spot in the field because so many other bubble teams have squandered opportunities too. BYU may yet rue going 1-4 against Saint Mary's and Gonzaga this season, but a solid RPI and wins over the Zags, Nevada and Oregon give the Cougars a decent shot at landing one of the final bids."
In his latest version of bracketology, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has BYU as No. 11 seed, facing No. 6 UNLV, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Runnin' Rebels, of course, are former Mountain West Conference rivals and are led by former Cougar assistant Dave Rice.
ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi still has BYU pegged as a No. 12 seed.
Turning to football, former BYU linebacker Brady Poppinga has strong opinions about the recent NFL bounty scandal.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 21