Blue roundup: Pundits predicting at-large berth for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
According to most bracketology experts, BYU should land an NCAA Tournament at-large berth on Sunday.
Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg explains the Cougars should be one of the last four teams into the Big Dance:
"When Gonzaga trounced BYU in the WCC semifinals on Saturday night, it seemed as though the Cougars' at-large resume would inevitably get eclipsed by too many fellow bubble teams in the next eight days," Eisenberg writes. "Well, six days later, the Cougars seem to still be holding on to a tenuous spot in the field because so many other bubble teams have squandered opportunities too. BYU may yet rue going 1-4 against Saint Mary's and Gonzaga this season, but a solid RPI and wins over the Zags, Nevada and Oregon give the Cougars a decent shot at landing one of the final bids."
In his latest version of bracketology, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has BYU as No. 11 seed, facing No. 6 UNLV, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Runnin' Rebels, of course, are former Mountain West Conference rivals and are led by former Cougar assistant Dave Rice.
ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi still has BYU pegged as a No. 12 seed.
Turning to football, former BYU linebacker Brady Poppinga has strong opinions about the recent NFL bounty scandal.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45