Blue roundup: Pundits predicting at-large berth for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
According to most bracketology experts, BYU should land an NCAA Tournament at-large berth on Sunday.
"When Gonzaga trounced BYU in the WCC semifinals on Saturday night, it seemed as though the Cougars' at-large resume would inevitably get eclipsed by too many fellow bubble teams in the next eight days," Eisenberg writes. "Well, six days later, the Cougars seem to still be holding on to a tenuous spot in the field because so many other bubble teams have squandered opportunities too. BYU may yet rue going 1-4 against Saint Mary's and Gonzaga this season, but a solid RPI and wins over the Zags, Nevada and Oregon give the Cougars a decent shot at landing one of the final bids."
In his latest version of bracketology, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has BYU as No. 11 seed, facing No. 6 UNLV, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Runnin' Rebels, of course, are former Mountain West Conference rivals and are led by former Cougar assistant Dave Rice.
ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi still has BYU pegged as a No. 12 seed.
Turning to football, former BYU linebacker Brady Poppinga has strong opinions about the recent NFL bounty scandal.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32