Blue roundup: Pundits predicting at-large berth for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
According to most bracketology experts, BYU should land an NCAA Tournament at-large berth on Sunday.
Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg explains the Cougars should be one of the last four teams into the Big Dance:
"When Gonzaga trounced BYU in the WCC semifinals on Saturday night, it seemed as though the Cougars' at-large resume would inevitably get eclipsed by too many fellow bubble teams in the next eight days," Eisenberg writes. "Well, six days later, the Cougars seem to still be holding on to a tenuous spot in the field because so many other bubble teams have squandered opportunities too. BYU may yet rue going 1-4 against Saint Mary's and Gonzaga this season, but a solid RPI and wins over the Zags, Nevada and Oregon give the Cougars a decent shot at landing one of the final bids."
In his latest version of bracketology, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has BYU as No. 11 seed, facing No. 6 UNLV, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Runnin' Rebels, of course, are former Mountain West Conference rivals and are led by former Cougar assistant Dave Rice.
ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi still has BYU pegged as a No. 12 seed.
Turning to football, former BYU linebacker Brady Poppinga has strong opinions about the recent NFL bounty scandal.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18