Blue roundup: Pundits predicting at-large berth for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
According to most bracketology experts, BYU should land an NCAA Tournament at-large berth on Sunday.
Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg explains the Cougars should be one of the last four teams into the Big Dance:
"When Gonzaga trounced BYU in the WCC semifinals on Saturday night, it seemed as though the Cougars' at-large resume would inevitably get eclipsed by too many fellow bubble teams in the next eight days," Eisenberg writes. "Well, six days later, the Cougars seem to still be holding on to a tenuous spot in the field because so many other bubble teams have squandered opportunities too. BYU may yet rue going 1-4 against Saint Mary's and Gonzaga this season, but a solid RPI and wins over the Zags, Nevada and Oregon give the Cougars a decent shot at landing one of the final bids."
In his latest version of bracketology, CBSSports.com's Jerry Palm has BYU as No. 11 seed, facing No. 6 UNLV, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Runnin' Rebels, of course, are former Mountain West Conference rivals and are led by former Cougar assistant Dave Rice.
ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi still has BYU pegged as a No. 12 seed.
Turning to football, former BYU linebacker Brady Poppinga has strong opinions about the recent NFL bounty scandal.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 26