17-year-old pleads guilty to murder in 2009 golf course shooting
Steve Griffin, Steve Griffin
SALT LAKE CITY — A 17-year-old accused of killing JoJo Brandstatt in an "execution-style" shooting on a West Valley City golf course pleaded guilty Thursday.
Antonie Hunter Farani entered guilty pleas to one count of aggravated murder and two counts of aggravated kidnapping, both first-degree felonies, in the Feb. 6, 2009, incident. Five additional counts of aggravated robbery were dismissed in exchange for Farani's plea.
Farani was 14 years old at the time of Brandstatt's death. He was one of four people to be charged in connection with the fatal shooting; prosecutors said he was the one who fired the fatal shots.
Brandstatt's body was found on a West Valley City golf course. Prosecutors said Brandstatt was shot three times for being a member of a rival gang. Court testimony indicated Farani decided to kill Brandstatt because the color of his shirt indicated his gang membership.
Because of his young age, Farani was initially charged in juvenile court, but was certified on the charges as an adult.
Shardise Malaga, 22, Spencer Cater, 21 and Jeremiah Williamson, 29, were also charged in Brandstatt's death.
Malaga was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for five felonies, including manslaughter, two counts of kidnapping and unrelated charges of burglary and theft. Williamson pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. He is now facing an additional second-degree felony charge of obstruction of justice for refusing to testify at Cater's trial.
Cater was found guilty of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery, both first-degree felonies. He was sentenced to two consecutive terms of 10 years to life in prison.
Sentencing for Farani is April 27.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 38
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14