17-year-old pleads guilty to murder in 2009 golf course shooting
Steve Griffin, Steve Griffin
SALT LAKE CITY — A 17-year-old accused of killing JoJo Brandstatt in an "execution-style" shooting on a West Valley City golf course pleaded guilty Thursday.
Antonie Hunter Farani entered guilty pleas to one count of aggravated murder and two counts of aggravated kidnapping, both first-degree felonies, in the Feb. 6, 2009, incident. Five additional counts of aggravated robbery were dismissed in exchange for Farani's plea.
Farani was 14 years old at the time of Brandstatt's death. He was one of four people to be charged in connection with the fatal shooting; prosecutors said he was the one who fired the fatal shots.
Brandstatt's body was found on a West Valley City golf course. Prosecutors said Brandstatt was shot three times for being a member of a rival gang. Court testimony indicated Farani decided to kill Brandstatt because the color of his shirt indicated his gang membership.
Because of his young age, Farani was initially charged in juvenile court, but was certified on the charges as an adult.
Shardise Malaga, 22, Spencer Cater, 21 and Jeremiah Williamson, 29, were also charged in Brandstatt's death.
Malaga was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for five felonies, including manslaughter, two counts of kidnapping and unrelated charges of burglary and theft. Williamson pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. He is now facing an additional second-degree felony charge of obstruction of justice for refusing to testify at Cater's trial.
Cater was found guilty of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery, both first-degree felonies. He was sentenced to two consecutive terms of 10 years to life in prison.
Sentencing for Farani is April 27.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- 4 honored with 2016 Public Service Awards
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 15
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 12
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9