17-year-old pleads guilty to murder in 2009 golf course shooting
Steve Griffin, Steve Griffin
SALT LAKE CITY — A 17-year-old accused of killing JoJo Brandstatt in an "execution-style" shooting on a West Valley City golf course pleaded guilty Thursday.
Antonie Hunter Farani entered guilty pleas to one count of aggravated murder and two counts of aggravated kidnapping, both first-degree felonies, in the Feb. 6, 2009, incident. Five additional counts of aggravated robbery were dismissed in exchange for Farani's plea.
Farani was 14 years old at the time of Brandstatt's death. He was one of four people to be charged in connection with the fatal shooting; prosecutors said he was the one who fired the fatal shots.
Brandstatt's body was found on a West Valley City golf course. Prosecutors said Brandstatt was shot three times for being a member of a rival gang. Court testimony indicated Farani decided to kill Brandstatt because the color of his shirt indicated his gang membership.
Because of his young age, Farani was initially charged in juvenile court, but was certified on the charges as an adult.
Shardise Malaga, 22, Spencer Cater, 21 and Jeremiah Williamson, 29, were also charged in Brandstatt's death.
Malaga was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for five felonies, including manslaughter, two counts of kidnapping and unrelated charges of burglary and theft. Williamson pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. He is now facing an additional second-degree felony charge of obstruction of justice for refusing to testify at Cater's trial.
Cater was found guilty of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery, both first-degree felonies. He was sentenced to two consecutive terms of 10 years to life in prison.
Sentencing for Farani is April 27.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 30
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7