TOOELE — A Tooele home was destroyed by fire early Thursday, but the couple inside woke up to the smell of smoke and were able to safely escape.
Police were called to 1575 E. Pheasant Lane just before 1:30 a.m. when the homeowner discovered the fire on the second floor, Tooele County sheriff's deputy Steve Hansen said. The man and his wife woke to the smell of smoke and called 911.
Hansen said the fire was actually between the first and second floors of the home, making it difficult for firefighters to extinguish.
North Tooele Fire District and the Tooele County Sheriff's Office responded to the incident. The home is still standing, but the inside is all but destroyed.
The couple were the only occupants of the home and they were able to exit the building without injury. Friends came to take them to a shelter as firefighters continued to battle the blaze.
North Tooele County firefighter Kirk Arnold estimated the damage to the home was close to $200,000. It is believed the building is a total loss.
Arnold said a wood-burning stove placed in the center of the home appears to have started the blaze. The flume of the chimney apparently became compromised, which led to smoke getting into a void space between the second and first floors.
"It caused a lot of havoc," Arnold said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 52
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10