Tom Smart, Deseret News
City Creek Center map: Download PDF version
SALT LAKE CITY — When City Creek Center celebrates its long-awaited grand opening later this month, it will offer a mix of familiar names on its roster, as well as some that will be new to the Utah market.
Among the well-known monikers will be retail giant Macy's, which will debut its seventh Utah store at the new shopping destination.
The new location spans 150,000 square feet on three floors, according to Macy's vice president and City Creek store manager Brian Murray. The retailer conducted media tours on Wednesday.
"It's the first store in the state to be built as a Macy's," Murray said. "(Previously), we've moved into places that had another nameplate on the door such as ZCMI or Meier & Frank.
Macy's operates more than 800 locations nationwide and employs about 1,000 people across its seven Utah stores, including 155 workers at its City Creek store.
The store will be one of two main anchor department stores at the downtown shopping center, along with Nordstrom. The $1.5 billion City Creek Center will house approximately 80 stores and restaurants upon completion, along with hundreds of residential housing units.
While the final touches are being put on the new store, Macy's was one of a few stores recently impacted by a water line break, though damage was minor.
"Very minimal leakage did take place in the back-of-the house area, but the water was quickly drained away," said Macy's spokesman Kelley Tarzian. "There was not any damage to the sales floor or merchandise."
Despite the mishap, the store is expected to move forward with its participation in the March 17 Community Day event and the grand opening of the center on March 22.
Murray said the new store was completely redesigned after its original Main Street store closed to make way for the City Creek Center overhaul. He said being included in such a landmark development was a proud milestone for the New York-based retailer.
"We're really thrilled to be a part of the (City Creek) project," he said.
Top List: City Creek Stores
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 15