Tom Smart, Deseret News
City Creek Center map: Download PDF version
SALT LAKE CITY — When City Creek Center celebrates its long-awaited grand opening later this month, it will offer a mix of familiar names on its roster, as well as some that will be new to the Utah market.
Among the well-known monikers will be retail giant Macy's, which will debut its seventh Utah store at the new shopping destination.
The new location spans 150,000 square feet on three floors, according to Macy's vice president and City Creek store manager Brian Murray. The retailer conducted media tours on Wednesday.
"It's the first store in the state to be built as a Macy's," Murray said. "(Previously), we've moved into places that had another nameplate on the door such as ZCMI or Meier & Frank.
Macy's operates more than 800 locations nationwide and employs about 1,000 people across its seven Utah stores, including 155 workers at its City Creek store.
The store will be one of two main anchor department stores at the downtown shopping center, along with Nordstrom. The $1.5 billion City Creek Center will house approximately 80 stores and restaurants upon completion, along with hundreds of residential housing units.
While the final touches are being put on the new store, Macy's was one of a few stores recently impacted by a water line break, though damage was minor.
"Very minimal leakage did take place in the back-of-the house area, but the water was quickly drained away," said Macy's spokesman Kelley Tarzian. "There was not any damage to the sales floor or merchandise."
Despite the mishap, the store is expected to move forward with its participation in the March 17 Community Day event and the grand opening of the center on March 22.
Murray said the new store was completely redesigned after its original Main Street store closed to make way for the City Creek Center overhaul. He said being included in such a landmark development was a proud milestone for the New York-based retailer.
"We're really thrilled to be a part of the (City Creek) project," he said.
Top List: City Creek Stores
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22