Charlie Litchfield, Idaho Press-Tribune
In previous years, a bad economy resulted in more workers going to graduate school to increase their job prospects in the future. But that's not the case in the current slow economy, according to Fox Business.
Actually, graduate schools have seen a decrease in enrollment recently, even though there's been an increase in applications. Enrollment of new students at graduate schools has dropped 1.1 percent from 2009 to 2010, even with an 8.4 percent rise in applications overall, according to a study conducted by the Council of Graduate Schools. That marks the first decrease in first-time graduate student enrollment since 2003 and happened after a 5.5 percent increase the previous year.
Experts have been saying the current job market has workers too afraid to leave their job to pursue higher education than attempt to find a new job, according to the article. However, for some workers, going to graduate school might be a good idea, as it could result in a change of career and a higher-paying job.
"I've worked with a number of (people) who just feel stale, they are no longer challenged, they don't feel engaged in their world of work-that's a good reason to seriously look at grad school," Cheryl Stevens, certified professional coach at MBA@UNC, an online MBA program offered through UNC's Kenan-Flagler, told Fox Business.
Click to read the entire article at Fox Business.
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak economic...
- How the UK could remain in the EU even if it...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Markets reel as world absorbs shock of UK...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- How the Brexit could affect U.S. businesses...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Photos: Ancestry opens new headquarters in Lehi
- Trial ordered for politician accused of... 7
- What Costco shoppers should know about... 5
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Emery County defrauded out of nearly... 4
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 4
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak... 3
- Delta pilots picket for better pay in... 3
- How the Brexit could affect U.S.... 2