BYU in California for three-game baseball series against UC Irvine
Both BYU and host UC Irvine look to bounce back from a pair of baseball losses last week as they start a three-game series Thursday.
The Anteaters (6-5) have been ranked No. 21, 24 and 30 in previous weeks, but are out of the polls this week after a pair of losses at Baylor. Meanwhile, BYU (4-4) has hopes for a better showing after a pair of losses at No. 4 Arkansas.
“We’re excited to get back at it again,” said BYU coach Vance Law after a rare weekend off from games. “This will be a good challenge against a good club. Hopefully we learned a few things at Arkansas.”
The BYU pitching rotation that produced a 4-2 record going into the Arkansas series remains the same. Chris Capper (0-2, 4.91), Mark Anderson (2-0, 2.13) and Adam Miller (1-0, 0.00) will start on the mound for games Thursday, Friday and Saturday, respectively.
Miller is among five pitchers on the BYU staff with a 0.00 ERA thus far, including freshman Mason Marshall who has two saves in 7.1 innings.
The games at 7:30, 7:30 and 2 p.m. MST, will be broadcast live on the Internet through links on www.byucougars.com and may be broadcast live locally in California on KUCI FM (88.9) depending on the outcome of UC Irvine basketball games in the Big West Tournament.
BYU leads the series, 7-6, against UC Irvine, having split the last time they played in 2005. The Anteaters won the first meeting in 1970.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 16
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 15