Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Senate soundly defeated a bill Monday evening that had been made public for a just few hours.
SB292, sponsored by Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Lehi, was intended to help protect businesses that have made considerable capital investments into the construction or improvement of airport hangars.
The bill, according to floor debate, was aimed at addressing a dispute between a lessee at Salt Lake City International Airport and Salt Lake City Corp.
Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike cried foul over the Senate taking on a bill that had not gone through the body's committee hearing process.
"I have concerns about this legislation. It did not have a public hearing. I received word from Delta (Air Lines) representatives and they have no idea what's in the bill," said Sen. Stuart Reid, R-Ogden.
"I think it's very problematic to move forward without proper public hearing."
Madsen said he had intended to move the bill to the Senate's final reading calendar, where it would be subject to floor debate on Tuesday. But he felt compelled to move the bill along after Majority Leader Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, advised senators that Monday would likely be the last day for Senate bills to advance.
"I'm not necessarily happy how it's coming to the body," Madsen said.
He said he introduced the legislation because he was concerned about the risk of the airport losing businesses such as Honda Jets, which has only four other locations nationwide. Salt Lake would be the fifth.
But in the end, only Sen. Margaret Dayton, R-Orem, voted for the bill. Madsen joined 25 other senators in voting no.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- 1,200 gather in Salt Lake, take part in...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 26
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 24
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12