SALT LAKE CITY — Ballet West has announced its five-program schedule for the 2012-13 season, which Ballet West Artistic Director Adam Sklute called "utterly spectacular."
"Whether you are a seasoned ballet patron or novice to the art form, this year’s repertoire will delight and fascinate you with its magic, athleticism and beauty," Sklute said in a news release.
The season's first program will be a triple bill including the world premiere of Val Caniparoli's "The Lottery," the return of Nicolo Fonte's "Bolero," and the revival and reworking of Helen Pickett's "But Never Doubt I Love."
"The Lottery" is based on an American short story by Shirley Jackson. It was commissioned by Ballet West and will be set to a new musical score by Robert Moran. The program will show on Nov. 2, 3 and 7-10.
Willam Christensen's "The Nutcracker" will return for its 56th edition at Ballet West, beginning Nov. 30 and running through Dec. 29.
Ballet West will become the second company in America to present Sir Frederick Ashton's "Cinderella" when the classic fairy tale, scored by Sergei Prokofeiv, has its Utah premiere on Valentine's Day in February 2013. It will run Feb. 14-17 and 20-23.
April 2013 will bring the Utah premiere of the first full-length abstract ballet, "Jewels" by George Balanchine, which is comprised of three acts: "Emeralds," set to music by Gabriel Faure; "Rubies," to music by Igor Stravinsky; and "Diamonds," to music by Peter Tchaikovsky. "Jewels" will run April 13, 14 and 18-21, 2013.
The season will conclude with "Innovations 2013," which will run May 17, 18 and 22-25 at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center. The program features new works by Ballet West artists, a revised revival of Christopher Ruud's 2011 "Trapped" and a world premiere by emerging choreographer Jodie Gates.
Season tickets are on sale now and range from $48 to $341. To purchase season tickets, call 801-869-6900 or visit www.balletwest.org.
Single-ticket prices range from $19 to $75. Tickets for the triple-bill program featuring “The Lottery” will go on sale Oct. 1.
Prior to the commencement of the 2012-13 season will be the annual Performance Gala on Oct. 27. The gala is to raise funds for Ballet West's education and outreach programs. The one-hour program features sneak previews, solos, pas de deuxs and excerpts.
Tickets for the Performance Gala go on sale Sept. 24.
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Utahns compete, succeed on 'American Ninja...
- Raising citizens: Tips to help parents... 6
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 6
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at... 1
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new... 0
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager... 0
- The newscasters who have made the most... 0