Litvack, Morgan will not seek re-election to Utah Legislature
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two longtime Democratic lawmakers announced Monday they will not be returning to the Legislature.
House Minority Leader David Litvack, D-Salt Lake, and Sen. Karen Morgan, D-Cottonwood Heights, have decided not seek re-election.
“It has been a great honor and privilege to serve the citizens of my community in the Utah Legislature for the past 14 years. I will deeply miss working with them, my colleagues, staff, advocates and many friends on Capitol Hill. I would like to thank everyone, especially my dear husband and family, for their unwavering support during my years of service,” Morgan said in a statement.
Morgan was first elected to the House in 1998 where she served for 10 years before being elected to the Senate in 2008.
“One of Utah's most ardent supporters of public education is retiring. Senator Karen Morgan's grasp of public education and its complex budget will be sorely missed,” said Senate Minority Assistant Whip Patricia Jones, D-Salt Lake.
Litvack said he's looking forward to spend more time with his family.
“I've spent a long time on Capitol Hill and it has been an honor. I've loved every single issue that I had a chance to get involved in and advocate for, but after 12 years in the Legislature it's time to let someone else take the reins so I can spend further time with my family," he said in a statement.
Litvack was first elected to the House in 2000, and has served in Democratic leadership the past four years.
Republican House leaders say Litvack will be missed.
"I'm sad to see him say he won't be coming back," said House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo. "He believes in finding solutions to problems and not just creating controversy."
House Majority Leader Brad Dee, R-Ogden, called Litvack a "gentleman and a statesman."
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 50
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 42
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20