REXBURG, IDAHO – Reminding listeners "the price of freedom has been too high and the consequences of nonparticipation are too great," Elder Quentin L. Cook, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, reaffirmed Sunday night the church's recent encouragement for everyone – LDS and otherwise – to participate fully in the political process "in all states and all countries where elections will be held."
Elder Cook specifically mentioned upcoming political caucus meetings in Utah and Idaho and encouraged those in his audience who live in those two states to participate in the process. He delivered his remarks to college-age Latter-day Saints around the world during a program broadcast from Brigham Young University-Idaho.
Although the LDS Church is officially politically neutral, it strongly encourages its members to actively participate in the political process, particularly at the grassroots level. Church leaders recently directed congregations in Utah not to hold meetings on March 13 and 15, when Utah caucuses will be held.
Elder Cook also encouraged civility, kindness and tolerance in daily discourse, including political discussion and debate.
"Any use of the internet to bully, destroy a reputation or place a person in a bad light is reprehensible," Elder Cook said. "What we are seeing in society is that when people wear the mask of anonymity, they are more likely to engage in this kind of conduct which is so destructive of civil discourse. It also violates the basic principles the Savior taught."
To read Elder Cook's entire speech please click here.
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Angel Moroni placed atop Indianapolis temple
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 24
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 11