Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Cougars didn't die easy, but couldn't maintain solid runs in the second half — falling 77-58 to Gonzaga. Grades are in for every position group and for the team as a whole.
Brandon Davies again won his matchup with Robert Sacre — finishing with 17 points on 7-11 shooting from the field. He again struggled from the line, however, hitting on just three of eight attempts.
Noah Hartsock gave it a good effort, but was clearly affected having to play on his injured knee for the second night in a row. He did his best work on the defensive end, blocking five shots. He hit on four of his nine attempts for 12 points.
Nate Austin fouled out in just 13 minutes of play and finished with two points and four rebounds. Grade: B
Charles Abouo went down with an apparent wrist injury, but came back in the second half. He finished with 12 points on 3-9 shooting and again led the team in rebounds with 11.
Brock Zylstra again went quiet against a quality opponent — hitting just one of his five shots for three points.
Anson Winder went scoreless while Stephen Rodgers appeared briefly in the first half, but proved ineffective. Grade: C
Matt Carlino cut his turnovers in half from a night ago — turning it over five times on the night. He again struggled with his shot — hitting on just four of his 12 attempts for 12 points. He was also beaten on the perimeter, along with the wings, time and again by Kevin Pangos, who finished with 30 points.
Craig Cusick played passive on offense, attempting just one shot, which he missed. Grade: C-
The Cougars looked ill-prepared coming out, allowing Gonzaga to build a big lead early that BYU simply couldn't overcome. They deserve credit for not folding it up until late, but overall it was a disappointing performance. Grade: C
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 91
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 69
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21
- Van Noy named to Lott IMPACT trophy... 14
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 12