Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — BYU hung on for a closer-than-anticipated 73-68 win over University of San Diego. Grades are in for every position and for the team as a whole.
Brandon Davies had a slow start but was key in the second half as BYU built its lead. He finished with 16 points on 6-9 shooting while dominating the middle on both ends of the court. He had a lot of struggles from the line, however, converting just three of eight attempts.
Noah Hartsock came off the bench but started the second half looking like his old self, seemingly not bothered by his knee injury. He finished the game scoring 19 points on 8-13 shooting.
Nate Austin saw just 13 minutes of play, finishing with two points, but he did pass out three assists. Grade: B+
Charles Abouo played under control, finishing with an efficient 11 points on 4-4 shooting from the field. He was able to keep the Toreros' sharpshooting freshman Johnny Dee in check, limiting him to just nine points on 3-11 shooting. Abouo also finished with a team-high seven rebounds.
Brock Zylstra got the start in place of Hartsock and responded well, getting BYU off to a fast start with a couple of 3-point baskets. He finished with 12 points on 5-8 shooting.
Anson Winder struggled with his shot and spent a lot of the second half on the bench as a result. He finished with just three points on 1-5 shooting from the field. Grade: B+
The good news for Matt Carlino was his seven assists. The bad news was his nine turnovers, unacceptable for a team's point guard. He was noticeably bothered by Torero point guard Christopher Anderson for the entire game and finished with just eight points on 3-9 shooting.
Craig Cusick didn't make much of an impact off the bench, finishing with just two points on 1-2 shooting. Grade: D
The Cougars looked sluggish, struggling on the defensive end while letting the Toreros stick around all night. Turnovers were a huge problem in a game that was much too close considering the quality of the opponent.
A win is a win, but they'll have to do much better to beat Gonzaga in the next round. Grade: C
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21