George Frey, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz played perhaps their best half of the year in taking a 57-44 lead over the NBA's top team, the Miami Heat.
The Jazz second-teamers came out on fire in the second quarter and spotted Utah a 12-point lead at 42-30, and the starters pushed the lead to 15 points before settling for the 13-point advantage.
Al Jefferson leads Utah with 12 points, while C.J. Miles has 11 points for the Jazz. The Utes got 26 points off the bench and center Enes Kanter had a nice first half with seven points and five rebounds.
Shane Battier leads Miami with 15 points on five 3-pointers, while Dwyane Wade scored 13 and LeBron James 12.
The Jazz dominated the boards, outrebounding the Heat 29 to 13, and had 15 offensive boards. The Jazz shot 44 percent, while the Heat shot 41.2 percent.
The Jazz took a 27-26 lead after one quarter thanks to a three-point play by Kanter with three seconds left. Kanter grabbed a miss by Miles and put it in while being fouled.
James and Wade, who had scored 38 and 33 points, respectively, the night before in Portland, were quiet in the first quarter with four and eight points, respectively. The big scorer was Battier, who scored 12 points on 4 of 4 from 3-point range.
In the second quarter, the Jazz backups outscored the Heat 15-3 over the first four minutes.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15