Seven thousand acres of common reed plants called phragmites line the shores of Utah Lake. The reeds are a nuisance, but the name, pronounced frag-my-tees, is at least fun to say. Here's more that you might not have known:
• An estimated 40 million pounds of carp live in Utah Lake. That equates to 6.9 million adult fish or the equivalent of 33,300 beef cattle.
• Fourteen fish species are native to Utah Lake. One, the Utah Lake Sculpin, was last spotted in 1928 and is extinct; the June sucker, found only in Utah Lake, is on the endangered species list and is the focus of a federally mandated rehabilitation effort.
• Utah Lake is the largest natural freshwater lake in Utah and the third largest in the Western United States with a surface area of 95,000 acres. It trails Lake Tahoe on the Nevada-California line, 100,000 acres; and Flathead Lake in Montana, at 150,000 acres.
• There is a small island near the south end of the lake.
• Almost half of the water in the lake (by volume) evaporates each year.
• The Dominguez-Escalante expedition first documented the lake in 1776.
• At one time more than 10 resorts existed on the shores of the lake.
• The lake is only 14 feet deep at its deepest point; the average water depth is 9 feet.
• The lake is 13 miles wide, east to west, and 24 miles from north to south.
• Drive west far enough on Center Street in Provo and you'll end up in Utah Lake; stop short and you'll be in the parking lot of the Utah Lake State Park marina.
• Developed marinas on the lake are also found in Vineyard, American Fork, Saratoga Springs (3), and at Lincoln Beach west of Spanish Fork.
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Interior secretary promised no surprise new...
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 37
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 23
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18