Utah’s unemployment rate fell to 5.7 after the state added 30,300 jobs in January, raising the total wage and salary employment to 1,207,400, according to a report from the Utah Department of Workforce Services released today.
The Beehive State’s nonfarm wage and salaried job count grew by 2.6 percent compared to last year’s figures.
The drop is part of a downward trend in unemployment for Utah. The recent report shows a .3 percentage-point drop in the jobless rate compared to December 2011, which was at 6.0 percent.
This is the fifth consecutive month the rate has dropped
November’s report showed a 6.4 percent unemployment rate in Utah.
The professional and business sector saw the most growth in January, posting an increase of 6,700 jobs. Leisure and hospitality jobs dropped by 900 jobs in January, which makes it the only sector to post a loss.
Utah continues to outperform the nation in employment. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to 8.3 percent in January, compared to 8.3 percent the month before. Job growth rose 1.5 percent, compared to last year’s national figures.
Fewer Americans are filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits, according to Bloomberg.
Applications for unemployment insurance dropped by 2,000 to 351,000, which matches a four-year low.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- David Muir takes over ABC's 'World News' from...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- It's not just Hello Kitty: Japan's character...
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 6
- State lawmaker calling for criminal... 5
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad... 2
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless... 1
- No timeline announced yet for... 1
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152... 1