Utah’s unemployment rate fell to 5.7 after the state added 30,300 jobs in January, raising the total wage and salary employment to 1,207,400, according to a report from the Utah Department of Workforce Services released today.
The Beehive State’s nonfarm wage and salaried job count grew by 2.6 percent compared to last year’s figures.
The drop is part of a downward trend in unemployment for Utah. The recent report shows a .3 percentage-point drop in the jobless rate compared to December 2011, which was at 6.0 percent.
This is the fifth consecutive month the rate has dropped
November’s report showed a 6.4 percent unemployment rate in Utah.
The professional and business sector saw the most growth in January, posting an increase of 6,700 jobs. Leisure and hospitality jobs dropped by 900 jobs in January, which makes it the only sector to post a loss.
Utah continues to outperform the nation in employment. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to 8.3 percent in January, compared to 8.3 percent the month before. Job growth rose 1.5 percent, compared to last year’s national figures.
Fewer Americans are filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits, according to Bloomberg.
Applications for unemployment insurance dropped by 2,000 to 351,000, which matches a four-year low.
EMAIL: email@example.com TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- Southwest, Delta tangle over whether to cut...
- Fiat Chrysler, Google in partnership talks
- US economy struggles at start of election year
- Exxon sees smallest profit in 16 years,...
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance pay in...
- Oculus Rift delays flatten virtual-reality...
- First US cruise in decades set to arrive in...
- Mystery solved? Australian says he's Bitcoin...
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 10
- Gov. Herbert met with lobbyists to ask... 7
- US economy struggles at start of... 3
- Exxon sees smallest profit in 16 years,... 3
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance... 3
- Fortune reports: BYU's cybersecurity... 3
- What millennials need to do to retire... 3