Utah’s unemployment rate fell to 5.7 after the state added 30,300 jobs in January, raising the total wage and salary employment to 1,207,400, according to a report from the Utah Department of Workforce Services released today.
The Beehive State’s nonfarm wage and salaried job count grew by 2.6 percent compared to last year’s figures.
The drop is part of a downward trend in unemployment for Utah. The recent report shows a .3 percentage-point drop in the jobless rate compared to December 2011, which was at 6.0 percent.
This is the fifth consecutive month the rate has dropped
November’s report showed a 6.4 percent unemployment rate in Utah.
The professional and business sector saw the most growth in January, posting an increase of 6,700 jobs. Leisure and hospitality jobs dropped by 900 jobs in January, which makes it the only sector to post a loss.
Utah continues to outperform the nation in employment. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to 8.3 percent in January, compared to 8.3 percent the month before. Job growth rose 1.5 percent, compared to last year’s national figures.
Fewer Americans are filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits, according to Bloomberg.
Applications for unemployment insurance dropped by 2,000 to 351,000, which matches a four-year low.
EMAIL: email@example.com TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display yields...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- Why 'Shark Tank' investor Barbara Corcoran...
- Obama immigration plan good, not great for...
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- Are Millennials savers? Conflicting studies...
- The unstoppable powerhouse of Disney's Frozen
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops among...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Robots will replace 50% of today's... 13
- White House: Immigration steps would... 7
- Imbibing in Utah grows with population,... 7
- What's next for dead malls? 5
- Looming chocolate drought may leave... 5
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops... 4
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2