Utah’s unemployment rate fell to 5.7 after the state added 30,300 jobs in January, raising the total wage and salary employment to 1,207,400, according to a report from the Utah Department of Workforce Services released today.
The Beehive State’s nonfarm wage and salaried job count grew by 2.6 percent compared to last year’s figures.
The drop is part of a downward trend in unemployment for Utah. The recent report shows a .3 percentage-point drop in the jobless rate compared to December 2011, which was at 6.0 percent.
This is the fifth consecutive month the rate has dropped
November’s report showed a 6.4 percent unemployment rate in Utah.
The professional and business sector saw the most growth in January, posting an increase of 6,700 jobs. Leisure and hospitality jobs dropped by 900 jobs in January, which makes it the only sector to post a loss.
Utah continues to outperform the nation in employment. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to 8.3 percent in January, compared to 8.3 percent the month before. Job growth rose 1.5 percent, compared to last year’s national figures.
Fewer Americans are filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits, according to Bloomberg.
Applications for unemployment insurance dropped by 2,000 to 351,000, which matches a four-year low.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Consumers fuel steady US economy as rest of...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Fed sees strengthening economy but stays...
- Balloon crew surpasses distance record in...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Lowest prices on last-minute Super Bowl...
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80... 16
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud,... 14
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline 7
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- US economy slows to 2.6 percent growth... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3