By now it's common knowledge that Apple is hosting "an iPad-related event taking place on March 7" to introduce a third-generation iPad, as tech website CNET confirmed Tuesday on the heels of a CNBC tweet.
Which begs the question: Who will be buying the new iPad?
"Current iPad owners are (more than three times) more likely than non-owners to purchase the next iPad within six months of launch. (However) since the U.S. market penetration of the iPad is (about 10 percent), our data suggests that out of (about 10 million) iPad 3 purchases in the U.S. within the first six months, 78 percent will be sold to first-time (iPad) buyers."
"Angry Birds is by far the favorite (iPad) app. Over 11 percent reported it as such. It's followed by Facebook, Netflix and Pandora."
"Fifty-nine percent of iPad owners are using it mostly on the couch or in bed."
The rest of the results can be viewed in a thorough, visually stunning infographic that AYTM released last week.
In late January, the Pew Internet & American Life Project published research about the surging ownership in the U.S. of tablets like the iPad and Amazon Kindle Fire.
Consider: In November 2010, 5 percent of American adults owned a tablet computer. That stat required 13 months — until mid-December 2011 — to double to 10 percent. But as for the time needed for the percentage of adults owning a tablet to nearly double again and reach 19 percent — well that required all of one month.
"These findings are striking because they come after a period from mid-2011 into the autumn in which there was not much change in the ownership of (tablets)," the Pew Internet & American Life Project observed. "However, as the holiday gift-giving season approached, the marketplace for (tablets) dramatically shifted. In the tablet world, Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble’s Nook Tablet were introduced at considerably cheaper prices than other tablets."
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Uber, Lyft refuse to require driver fingerprints
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Computer outage that caused some Starbucks...
- 10 of the (printable) entries for this year's...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Utah construction companies fined,... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2
- Why McDonald's is still a powerhouse,... 1
- US stocks waver as corporate earnings... 1
- First lady: Tech industry to train,... 1