In 2010, two-thirds of college seniors graduated with loans and had an average of $25,250 in debt. With some planning, people can get through college without this unnecessary debt, according to an article on Say Campus Life.
Getting well acquainted with your high school counselor is a great place to start, according to the article. This person can help you find scholarships that you didn't already know about. For example, if you're a man that's 6'2" or taller or a woman 5'10" or taller, you have the potential to get the Tall Clubs International Scholarship. Your counselor can also help you figure out which classes you should take to help you prepare for college, as most high schools offer dual credit classes so you can get college credit and save money.
The article on Say Campus Life recommends choosing a school because it's right for you, not because your friends are going there. The average annual price for four-year public degree colleges and universities is $7,020, compared to $26,273 for private colleges, according to the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education.
Taking classes online is usually considerably cheaper, and you can save money on travel, supplies and books, according to the article. Also, working or taking more classes can dramatically reduce your debt. If you work 15-20 hours a week throughout college, you can cover many of your spending costs as they come.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- 2 financial goals you should revisit every year
- Utah website designed to make sending...
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 3
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch:... 3
- Young adults are faced with risky... 3