Utah Jazz snap losing streak, blasts Houston Rockets 104-83
Not only did Evans get honored by the Guv, but the second-year forward also saw some rare and extended playing time because of the absence of Paul Millsap (bruised left heel).
After receiving his 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest trophy and having a declaration read in his honor prior to tipoff, Evans went out and had two impressive dunks — one over runner-up dunker Chase Budinger — along with three blocks and seven rebounds in a season-high 22 minutes and 26 seconds.
All the better for him that his efforts contributed to a win.
"We really needed it," Evans said. "You always need a win on your home court. You never want to lose. Come out, play hard and get our confidence back."
Al Jefferson added 14 points and picked up a team-best 10 rebounds helping the Jazz outboard the Rockets 50-34.
Utah also shot a perfect 16-for-16 from the free-throw line after going 11-for-22 in the 103-96 loss to the Kings the previous night, showing how focused the Jazz were on getting this victory.
"I think it was all Devin," Jefferson said. "He was a one-man fast break tonight. We got behind him. Unfortunately, he had a little stomach problem, but I think he set the tone from the beginning, especially after the first quarter. We realized that's what we needed to do against that team."
GAME NOTES: The Jazz played without Paul Millsap (bruised heel), Raja Bell (strained adductor) and Jamaal Tinsley (stomach flu). … Forward DeMarre Carroll got his first action since being acquired by the Jazz on Feb. 8. He also got his first bucket and had two rebounds. … Utah improved to 9-2 when holding opponents under 90 points.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28