Utah Jazz snap losing streak, blasts Houston Rockets 104-83
Not only did Evans get honored by the Guv, but the second-year forward also saw some rare and extended playing time because of the absence of Paul Millsap (bruised left heel).
After receiving his 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest trophy and having a declaration read in his honor prior to tipoff, Evans went out and had two impressive dunks — one over runner-up dunker Chase Budinger — along with three blocks and seven rebounds in a season-high 22 minutes and 26 seconds.
All the better for him that his efforts contributed to a win.
"We really needed it," Evans said. "You always need a win on your home court. You never want to lose. Come out, play hard and get our confidence back."
Al Jefferson added 14 points and picked up a team-best 10 rebounds helping the Jazz outboard the Rockets 50-34.
Utah also shot a perfect 16-for-16 from the free-throw line after going 11-for-22 in the 103-96 loss to the Kings the previous night, showing how focused the Jazz were on getting this victory.
"I think it was all Devin," Jefferson said. "He was a one-man fast break tonight. We got behind him. Unfortunately, he had a little stomach problem, but I think he set the tone from the beginning, especially after the first quarter. We realized that's what we needed to do against that team."
GAME NOTES: The Jazz played without Paul Millsap (bruised heel), Raja Bell (strained adductor) and Jamaal Tinsley (stomach flu). … Forward DeMarre Carroll got his first action since being acquired by the Jazz on Feb. 8. He also got his first bucket and had two rebounds. … Utah improved to 9-2 when holding opponents under 90 points.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Photos: BYU welcomed by fans at Provo Airport
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 106
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 27
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 25