Utah Jazz snap losing streak, blasts Houston Rockets 104-83
Not only did Evans get honored by the Guv, but the second-year forward also saw some rare and extended playing time because of the absence of Paul Millsap (bruised left heel).
After receiving his 2012 NBA Slam Dunk Contest trophy and having a declaration read in his honor prior to tipoff, Evans went out and had two impressive dunks — one over runner-up dunker Chase Budinger — along with three blocks and seven rebounds in a season-high 22 minutes and 26 seconds.
All the better for him that his efforts contributed to a win.
"We really needed it," Evans said. "You always need a win on your home court. You never want to lose. Come out, play hard and get our confidence back."
Al Jefferson added 14 points and picked up a team-best 10 rebounds helping the Jazz outboard the Rockets 50-34.
Utah also shot a perfect 16-for-16 from the free-throw line after going 11-for-22 in the 103-96 loss to the Kings the previous night, showing how focused the Jazz were on getting this victory.
"I think it was all Devin," Jefferson said. "He was a one-man fast break tonight. We got behind him. Unfortunately, he had a little stomach problem, but I think he set the tone from the beginning, especially after the first quarter. We realized that's what we needed to do against that team."
GAME NOTES: The Jazz played without Paul Millsap (bruised heel), Raja Bell (strained adductor) and Jamaal Tinsley (stomach flu). … Forward DeMarre Carroll got his first action since being acquired by the Jazz on Feb. 8. He also got his first bucket and had two rebounds. … Utah improved to 9-2 when holding opponents under 90 points.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 39
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 25
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21