Girlfriend admits assaulting Utah Jazz player Al Jefferson
HOLLADAY — The girlfriend of Al Jefferson pleaded guilty Wednesday to assaulting the Utah Jazz player.
Shirley Lewis, 38, entered a plea in abeyance to assault, a class B misdemeanor. A second class B misdemeanor count of domestic violence in the presence of a child was dismissed in exchange for the woman's plea.
The plea in abeyance means that the charge against Lewis will be dismissed in a year and the guilty plea withdrawn if she avoids any further violations of the law and pays $623 in court fees.
Lewis was arrested Dec. 8 after she called police from the home she shared with Jefferson near 8000 South and Highland Drive. Police determined that it was a domestic violence incident and that Lewis was the aggressor.
Lewis "was in a verbal argument with her live-in boyfriend, Al Jefferson, when she hit him and bit him on the back," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. It did not appear that alcohol played a factor in the incident, although police were unsure what prompted the argument.
Two children, ages 3 and 9, were home at the time of the incident and were "visibly upset," police said. Both Jefferson and Lewis were cooperative with police.
The 6-foot-10, 289-pound Jazz center never commented on the case, calling it a "personal matter." It was unclear Wednesday whether the couple is still in a relationship.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Provo
- Youth volunteers plant 3,000 flags at Sandy...
- Man charged with threats of terrorism,...
- Riverton man arrested in 'unique' display of...
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8