Girlfriend admits assaulting Utah Jazz player Al Jefferson
HOLLADAY — The girlfriend of Al Jefferson pleaded guilty Wednesday to assaulting the Utah Jazz player.
Shirley Lewis, 38, entered a plea in abeyance to assault, a class B misdemeanor. A second class B misdemeanor count of domestic violence in the presence of a child was dismissed in exchange for the woman's plea.
The plea in abeyance means that the charge against Lewis will be dismissed in a year and the guilty plea withdrawn if she avoids any further violations of the law and pays $623 in court fees.
Lewis was arrested Dec. 8 after she called police from the home she shared with Jefferson near 8000 South and Highland Drive. Police determined that it was a domestic violence incident and that Lewis was the aggressor.
Lewis "was in a verbal argument with her live-in boyfriend, Al Jefferson, when she hit him and bit him on the back," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. It did not appear that alcohol played a factor in the incident, although police were unsure what prompted the argument.
Two children, ages 3 and 9, were home at the time of the incident and were "visibly upset," police said. Both Jefferson and Lewis were cooperative with police.
The 6-foot-10, 289-pound Jazz center never commented on the case, calling it a "personal matter." It was unclear Wednesday whether the couple is still in a relationship.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14