SANDY — A Jordan High School student was killed after a rollover accident on State Street, Sandy police Sgt. Jon Arnold said.
Arnold said Brandon Jeremy Evans, 17, was traveling with three teenage passengers – two males and one female. Evans was pronounced dead at the scene and the vehicle's front passenger was transported via helicopter to University Hospital, but was reported to be in improving condition as of Tuesday night. The remaining two teenagers were taken to local hospitals by ambulance as a precaution.
"It's very sad," Arnold said. "It's tragic."
Evans was driving north on State Street in a Toyota Corolla when he began swerving in his lane, possibly as horseplay, Arnold said. He over-corrected and the car rolled up onto the sidewalk, hitting a light pole. Passengers in a vehicle behind Evans stopped and were able to provide police with information.
Arnold said that all four passengers were wearing their seat belts at the time of the accident. There was no indication of drugs or alcohol being involved and it was determined that speed was not a factor.
The names of the remaining passengers were not immediately available.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Women innovators leading by example
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 33
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 11
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9