SALT LAKE CITY — A Midvale man was charged Tuesday with stalking a former girlfriend by sending her a series of insulting email and Facebook messages.
David Lindsey, 43, was charged with stalking, a class A misdemeanor, and one count of electronic communication harassment, a class B misdemeanor, in 3rd District Court.
A Salt Lake woman, who told police she dated Lindsey for a year and a half, said that in November she began receiving harassing posts on her Facebook page from Lindsey. In these posts, Lindsey called the woman obscene names and accused her of being a thief, cheater and a liar, the charges state.
She also told police that she received an email addressed to 800 people in which she and her parents were denigrated and pages were created on Facebook dedicated to hating her.
A faculty member of a nursing program, where the victim works, also received emails from "Nurse Betty," who claimed to be a staff member and alleged that the woman was improperly receiving prescription narcotics and creating a hostile work environment. The faculty member investigated the claims and told police the accusations were unfounded.
After the woman became aware of the Nurse Betty emails, she suspected Lindsey and contacted police. When Lindsey was contacted by authorities, he said he sent the Nurse Betty emails and discussed the Facebook postings and emails he had sent to the woman, repeating the accusations against her, according to the charges.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14