No. 4 Arkansas hosts BYU baseball on Tuesday to start a two-game series.
Arkansas (7-1) hosts BYU (4-2) in the second meeting between the two schools, but it is the first time the Cougars have gone to Fayetteville. BYU leads the series 1-0 with a 6-5 upset over then No. 7 Arkansas in 1990 at the Pepsi/Me-N-Ed’s Tournament in Fresno, Calif.
Sophomore returned missionary Tyler Westensee will make his first appearance on the mound for BYU on Tuesday against Razorback sophomore Brandon Moore (0-0, 3.60) in a matchup of right handers. On Wednesday, the Cougars will start Desmond Poulson (0-0, 3.00) who was a Freshman All-American last season when he posted a 5-0 record.
"It's always a big challenge to face one of the top teams in the country,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “They are solid and have good tradition. It's a nice challenge for us and a good measuring stick for us to see if we can represent ourselves well with consistent performance."
Among the leading BYU hitters is right fielder Jaycob Brugman, also a Freshman All-American last season, who has a current six-game hitting streak. Sophomore first baseman Brock Whitney leads BYU with three game-winning RBI.
The Cougars are currently in first place in the West Coast Conference at 2-1, due to an early series last weekend against Saint Mary’s College. No other league games will take place in the WCC until the end of March.
Following the Arkansas series, BYU’s baseball team will have a rare idle weekend before returning to California next week in a three-game series at UC Irvine. The BYU-Arkansas games are available for review on live audio and video through paid subscription at www.arkansasrazorbacks.com or livestats are free.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37