People's emotions and behavior affect their financial success more than their income, according to Modern Medicine.
A book entitled "Mind Over Money: Overcoming the Money Disorders That Threaten Our Financial Health" examines why there are people with high income but low net worth, and people with low income but high net worth, according to Modern Medicine.
Authors Ted Klontz, Ph.D., and Brad Klontz, Psy.D., write that financial issues are clouded by psychology, according to Modern Medicine. In the book, the authors cite surveys by the American Psychological Association showing that Americans consider money as life's biggest stressor. In fact, money is more stressful than work, health or children. Some research shows that money disorders are more common than depression or anxiety.
Money can bring on stress, fantasy, fear and irrationality. These feelings all have great power, and have the capability of clouding good financial intentions, according to the article. Frequently, people know what's financially right, but they do what's financially wrong.
The authors indicate there are multiple common disorders associated with wealth and money, according to Modern Medicine. The disorders fall into the broad categories of money worship, relational disorders and money-avoidance. Hoarding, dependency, denial, rejectio, and enabling are some of the specific disorders.
The signs for financial disorders aren't difficult to spot. They involve constant financial anxiety or despair, excessive debt or a lack of family savings, multiple defaults on loans, bankruptcies and financial conflicts with friends and family, according to Modern Medicine. These aren't occasional issues. They're issues that pervade over a long period of time.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal
- UTA to upgrade downtown Salt Lake TRAX stations
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in Moab...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 12
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- New grant money helps combat air pollution 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal 3