People's emotions and behavior affect their financial success more than their income, according to Modern Medicine.
A book entitled "Mind Over Money: Overcoming the Money Disorders That Threaten Our Financial Health" examines why there are people with high income but low net worth, and people with low income but high net worth, according to Modern Medicine.
Authors Ted Klontz, Ph.D., and Brad Klontz, Psy.D., write that financial issues are clouded by psychology, according to Modern Medicine. In the book, the authors cite surveys by the American Psychological Association showing that Americans consider money as life's biggest stressor. In fact, money is more stressful than work, health or children. Some research shows that money disorders are more common than depression or anxiety.
Money can bring on stress, fantasy, fear and irrationality. These feelings all have great power, and have the capability of clouding good financial intentions, according to the article. Frequently, people know what's financially right, but they do what's financially wrong.
The authors indicate there are multiple common disorders associated with wealth and money, according to Modern Medicine. The disorders fall into the broad categories of money worship, relational disorders and money-avoidance. Hoarding, dependency, denial, rejectio, and enabling are some of the specific disorders.
The signs for financial disorders aren't difficult to spot. They involve constant financial anxiety or despair, excessive debt or a lack of family savings, multiple defaults on loans, bankruptcies and financial conflicts with friends and family, according to Modern Medicine. These aren't occasional issues. They're issues that pervade over a long period of time.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies, alliances
- Utah website designed to make sending...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 10
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- Cedar Hills to require business... 5
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 2
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for... 2