How qualified: Finished tied for first in Region 20 with Bryce Valley with a 13-1 record, but finished second in the Region 20 tournament and heads into playoffs as No. 2 seed.
Playoff opener: vs. Rich, Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 40-38 win against Duchesne at the Sevier Valley Center on Dec. 10.
Best region victory: A 61-48 win against Bryce Valley on Dec. 22.
Ty Jessen, Sr., Forward (11.9 ppg)
Taylor Allen, Sr., Center (10.9 ppg)
Cash Newby, Sr., Guard (10.6 ppg)
Tyler Dalton, Jr. Guard (9.0 ppg)
Anthony Hardman, Sr., Guard (8.2 ppg)
Scoring offense: 57.7 ppg (8th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 43.0 ppg (3rd in 1A)
Last state championship: 1996
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Bryce Valley in championship game.
Rich Rebels (8-11)
Coach: Ashley Brown
How qualified: Finished second in Region 21 with a 5-3 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Piute, Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 50-45 win against South Summit on Jan. 12.
Best region victory: A 60-40 win at Tabiona on Feb. 25.
Braken Pinter, Sr., Guard (13.4 ppg)
McKay Jarman, So., Forward (8.4 ppg)
Brent Wallentine, Sr., Guard (7.3 ppg)
Austin Groll, Jr., Guard (6.3 ppg)
Skyler Argyle, So., Forward (5.4 ppg)
Scoring offense: 51.7 ppg (15th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 50.5 ppg (13th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in first round.
St. Joseph Jayhawks (7-12)
Coach: Chad Loosemore
How qualified: Finished third in Region 17 with a 4-4 record.
Playoff opener: vs. Monticello, Wednesday, 7 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 55-53 win against Dugway on Nov. 22.
Best region victory: A 45-41 win against West Ridge on Feb. 8.
David Donlevy, So., Guard (10.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.0 spg)
Zach Johnstun, Jr., Guard (9.4 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.5 spg)
Jordan Jones, Jr., Guard (6.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.8 spg)
Pat Choffel, Jr., Guard (5.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.1 spg)
Thomas Emenger, So., Guard (4.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg)
Scoring offense: 44.7 ppg (23rd in 1A)
Scoring defense: 53.1 ppg (17th in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Monticello in first round.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Rudy Gobert's fast break impressed and amused...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28