BYU track breaks three school records at Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships
SEATTLE, Wash. — The BYU men’s track and field team had strong performances in its debut at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships this weekend at the University of Washington's Demsey Indoor Facility.
“We had a very good meet and did very well,” men’s head coach Mark Robison said. “It was a fun meet and I’m extremely pleased. It was a good outing for us against very good competition.”
The distance medley relay team of Rex Shields,Shaquille Walker, Ryan Waite and Miles Batty stole the first night, winning the event with a time of 9:29.00, setting a new BYU record and recording the No. 1 time in the NCAA and automatically qualifying for nationals.
In the pole vault, Victor Weirich and Braydon Bringhurst also added points for the Cougars, with Weirich tying for fourth, jumping 5.23m (17-01.75), and Bringhurst tying for fifth, with a height of 5.08m (16-08.00).
On day two, Miles Batty picked up his second first-place finish of the meet in the 800m, finishing with a time of 1:49.17, a personal best. Justin Hedin and Shaquille Walker also scored points in the 800m and recorded personal records, finishing fourth and fifth, with times of 1:49.77 and 1:49.85 respectively.
In the 400m, Cade Lindahl improved on his career-best time by a whole second, setting a new school record with 46.25, a time that places him top five in the nation.
The men’s 4x400m team of Rhyan Atrice, Hedin, Walker and Lindahl also set a new school record and finished third in the event, finishing in 3:09.71.
The Cougars will now take a week off to prepare for the NCAA Indoor National Championships, which will be held March 8-10 in Nampa, Idaho.
Ashlyn Hewlett is a sports information director with BYU Athletic Communications directly over cross country and men's track & field. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45