MORAGA, Calif. — Multiple RBIs with two outs gave pitcher Adam Miller the needed cushion Saturday afternoon for a 7-3 BYU victory over St. Mary’s College.
BYU, now 4-2 overall and 2-1 in the West Coast Conference, took the three-game series against the Gaels, now 5-2 and 1-2. Miller, Austin Hall and Jaycob Brugman were key for the Cougars who jumped out to a 4-0 lead before SMC scored a pair of unearned runs in the fifth inning.
Hall and Brugman hit back-to-back doubles in the first inning for a 1-0 lead. The duo came back again with consecutive hits in the eighth when Hall tripled with two outs. Brugman drove Hall in for the final run of the game.
But the two-run, two-out RBI by Tanner Chauncey in the second frame and RBI in the seventh and eighth innings with two outs keyed the victory over the Gaels.
“When you can get two-out RBI, it takes wind out of their sails,” said BYU coach Vance Law. “Chauncey was big in second. Then to increase our lead when Dillon Robinson hit a line drive to center field and Hall hit one down the first base line were huge.”
Hall, who went 4-for-5 at the plate, also came up big in the bottom of the third when Cole Norton tried to stretch a single into a double and was thrown out at second base by the talented senior, who started his first game at left field.
For the second game in a row, Brock Whitney recorded the game-winning RBI. Whitney’s one-run, one-out single scored Hall in the fifth when the Cougars took a 4-0 lead.
Law lauded Miller as well for his five-hit performance in seven innings to pick up his first win of the year.
“When he (Miller) has two pitches working, that is all he needs as hard as he throws, “ said Law. “I’m pleased with way he has pitched last two games. “
BYU next plays a two-game series at No. 7 Arkansas starting Tuesday.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43