Utah basketball: 'Resilient' Utes upset Stanford in final home game, 58-57
Stanford responded with a 12-3 run, however, to take the lead and control of the game — for a while anyhow.
Utah was held scoreless for 3:38 during Stanford's outburst and trailed by 10 at one point.
The Cardinal later had a drought of their own, failing to make a shot from the field for a span of 6:06 as the Utes rallied back into contention and regained the lead. They opened the comeback with eight straight points, fueling a 14-2 run that gave them a 30-27 advantage with just over three minutes to go.
"Give them credit first," said Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins. "I thought they defended during that period of time and got some stops. We didn't execute as well and turned it over too much."
Before the half was complete, though, there was another exchange of leads. A pair of free throws by Javon Dawson capped things off with 58 seconds to go. Utah was 14-of-16 from the line over the first 20 minutes.
In a 68-65 loss at Stanford on Jan. 12, the Utes went 1-for-9 for the game.
GAME NOTES: Utah is now 15-8 against Stanford, including a 9-2 advantage in Salt Lake City. ... The attendance was 8,933. ... The Utes went 6-9 in the Huntsman Center this season. ... Hines tied his career-high with five 3-pointers. His seven rebounds were a career-best. ... Stanford missed its first eight shots from the field in the second half. ... The Utes are 5-1 this season when leading at halftime. ... Randle had a team-high 19 points for the Cardinal. ... Dawson had a career-best three steals as Utah tallied a season-high 10 as a team.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25