Utah basketball: 'Resilient' Utes upset Stanford in final home game, 58-57
Stanford responded with a 12-3 run, however, to take the lead and control of the game — for a while anyhow.
Utah was held scoreless for 3:38 during Stanford's outburst and trailed by 10 at one point.
The Cardinal later had a drought of their own, failing to make a shot from the field for a span of 6:06 as the Utes rallied back into contention and regained the lead. They opened the comeback with eight straight points, fueling a 14-2 run that gave them a 30-27 advantage with just over three minutes to go.
"Give them credit first," said Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins. "I thought they defended during that period of time and got some stops. We didn't execute as well and turned it over too much."
Before the half was complete, though, there was another exchange of leads. A pair of free throws by Javon Dawson capped things off with 58 seconds to go. Utah was 14-of-16 from the line over the first 20 minutes.
In a 68-65 loss at Stanford on Jan. 12, the Utes went 1-for-9 for the game.
GAME NOTES: Utah is now 15-8 against Stanford, including a 9-2 advantage in Salt Lake City. ... The attendance was 8,933. ... The Utes went 6-9 in the Huntsman Center this season. ... Hines tied his career-high with five 3-pointers. His seven rebounds were a career-best. ... Stanford missed its first eight shots from the field in the second half. ... The Utes are 5-1 this season when leading at halftime. ... Randle had a team-high 19 points for the Cardinal. ... Dawson had a career-best three steals as Utah tallied a season-high 10 as a team.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8